Community discussions

rgroothuis
Topic Author

The Dude monitoring 3 ADSL lines on Sonicwall

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:58 pm

I'm setting up a Dude server to monitor all the Mikrotik devices in the network, it works really great and I even get Telegram notifications.

Next challenge, if possible, is that I want The Dude to monitor my three outgoing ADSL lines. The dude is installed on a local Mikrotik device within the network. The local network is connected through one Sonicwall device via 3 ADSL lines (load balancing) to the internet. How can The Dude monitor the status of those three ADSL lines. I want to get a notification if one of the ADSL lines goes down.

The ADSL modems do not have a pingable IP address. I tried to ping the public IP address but that doesn't seem to work either.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: The Dude monitoring 3 ADSL lines on Sonicwall

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:36 am

I'm setting up a Dude server to monitor all the Mikrotik devices in the network, it works really great and I even get Telegram notifications.

Next challenge, if possible, is that I want The Dude to monitor my three outgoing ADSL lines. The dude is installed on a local Mikrotik device within the network. The local network is connected through one Sonicwall device via 3 ADSL lines (load balancing) to the internet. How can The Dude monitor the status of those three ADSL lines. I want to get a notification if one of the ADSL lines goes down.

The ADSL modems do not have a pingable IP address. I tried to ping the public IP address but that doesn't seem to work either.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
look for SNMP option in sonicwall. if it supports it - look what kind of information it can provide, if you are lucky one - there wiil be information about links
MTCNA, MTCWE

rgroothuis
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:02 am

Any suggestions? Thanks.
look for SNMP option in sonicwall. if it supports it - look what kind of information it can provide, if you are lucky one - there wiil be information about links
Yes, thanks. Found that option, SNMP is giving me a lot of info. Next question is how can I set triggers on SNMP info in The Dude? Like if interface X0 is down then send report etc.
After this post I will do some further searching and investigations as well.

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:12 am

you should find sonicwall snmp oid for link state (up or down). Create probe in dude. add it to sonicwall in dude or create a new device in dude (for each adsl link) without ping, just with this new probe. Try to google "dude snmp link state", there are some examples in internet

Отправлено с моего Redmi 3S через Tapatalk
MTCNA, MTCWE

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:38 pm

there is a little cheme
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxq9Y ... TRaR0tsVzA
tested it on one of my nets (there are 2 uplinks, l2tp and static address )
MTCNA, MTCWE

rgroothuis
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Excellent, thanks for the suggestions. The probe tip, the example above and the SNMPWALK tip I found on the internet I was able to add 3 Probes, one for each ADSL line. Perfect. Now I should get a Telegram message when one of the lines are down. I will do a test when at the premises again. Thanks.

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:38 pm

Excellent, thanks for the suggestions. The probe tip, the example above and the SNMPWALK tip I found on the internet I was able to add 3 Probes, one for each ADSL line. Perfect. Now I should get a Telegram message when one of the lines are down. I will do a test when at the premises again. Thanks.
You can set notifications for each prob separately.
go to services tab of your device in dude, select probe in list, then right click-settings, go to notifications tab and mark kinds of notifications you need for this particular probe
MTCNA, MTCWE