Community discussions

MikroTik App

agrkon
just joined
Topic Author

Dude not set snmp name device

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi!
I have problem on Dude 6.40.1. A select "Device Name Preference" on Discovery to "SNMP,IP". After discovery in field name of device it is ip address, not snmp sysname.
But at the same time I see it in the description of the device (image in attache)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BenAL
just joined

Re: Dude not set snmp name device

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:45 pm

I have the same problem.

Expertise: I have played with The Dude before, but never deployed it.

I am running The Dude server on the same subnet as my RouterOS switch and router. Both switch and router have SNMP version 3 configured and The Dude has custom SNMP profile to match. Custom SNMP profile is set as default in The Dude server and discovery is set to use the default SNMP profile. I have tested with Discovery Name Preference set to "SNMP, IP." Discovery can successfully resolve names by DNS (when selected) or it can use IP, but will not use the name from SNMP, despite the fact that "System Name" and other SNMP info seems to display correctly immediately after discovery.

Does everyone have this problem, or is it a recent bug? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Any help is appreciated

Oh yeah, The Dude Server is running version 6.40.3 on RB1100AHx4 with ROS 6.40.3 and firmware upgraded. RouterOS devices being discovered are CCR1009 with ROS 6.38.1 and CRS125 with ROS 6.32.2.

HeadBang
just joined

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:23 am

I am having the exact same issue on a new installation RB3011, ROS 6.40.3

snmp is working as it shows the device name when I mouse over. It will not use snmp to set the name on new devices discovered.
This is working on an installation with a much older version. I tripple checked all the settings and everything is the same. I have been working with the dude for over 10yrs. This a a new one to me.

HeadBang
just joined

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:42 pm

So is this just me? Some bone head thing I am missing? Or is there a real issue and I should just hold off?

miguelangelfelix
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:39 am

just with the same problem on 6.41.3 router os i could get the snmp name on device label but i cant with discovery to take the name on Device.name variable thats too bad cose whe n i receive a notification o got the ip address =(

Enviado desde mi SM-G955U mediante Tapatalk

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:51 pm

I can also verify this. Seems to be a bug. SNMP hostname is ignored.

Sure, I can use the OID on the device label. But when there is a connection problem, then the device becomes just a nameless blob on the map.

veljko
just joined

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:20 am

Bump!

miguelangelfelix
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:20 am

I wrote an email to Mikrotik support a few months ago about this topic and answered me back it was a known issue that will be fixed on future versions, i recently have seen about it and they don't have issue fixed yet. So at this point we have 2 options.

1st option.- We can use a router with old router os version 6.39 or less where the dude snmp discovery devices works good, but if you choose this you must be careful because that version is vulnerable, i have experience some friends hacked my CHR for kidding me, Mikrotik sent an email with the advertise and i forgot to update i feel too lucky because they were friends so thanks for the lesson guys!!, well you can try this option but you should block the Winbox public access or you can have a good restrict firewall access to the router.

2nd option .- I did 2 scripts as an alternative solution to this issue the "script 1" for pppoe customer service, takes information from "ppp - active connections" just "names and addresses parameter" and "script 2" for static ip customers takes information from "ip - neighbors", identity and addresses parameters, then both scripts do a comparison with the dude devices name those were discovered on "the dude" and named with ip addresses, finally if match condition the dude devices are named with the information gotten by the scripts described at the begin.

I leave the scripts and an example below, hope to be helpful enjoy it!!!
#SCRIPT 1 BY MIGUEL FELIX - MERCADO WISP MEXICO

{

:foreach pppuser in=[/ppp active find service=pppoe] do={\ 

:foreach pppip in=[/ppp active get $pppuser address] do={\ 

:foreach pppname in=[/ppp active get $pppuser value-name=name] do={\

:foreach dudedev in=[/dude device find] do={\ 

:foreach dudedevname in=[/dude device get $dudedev value-name=name] do={\

if ($dudedevname = $pppip) do={\

[/dude device set $dudedev name=$pppname]

}

}

}

}

}

}

}

}

#SCRIPT 2 BY MIGUEL FELIX - MERCADO WISP MEXICO 

{

:foreach neighbor in=[/ip neighbor find] do={\

:foreach identity in=[/ip neighbor get $neighbor value-name=identity] do={\

:foreach neighboradd in=[/ip neighbor get $neighbor address] do={\

:foreach dudedev in=[/dude device find] do={\ 

:foreach dudedevname in=[/dude device get $dudedev value-name=name] do={\

if ($dudedevname = $neighboradd) do={\

[/dude device set $dudedev name=$identity]

}

}

}

}

}

}

}

#EXAMPLE

Thanks!!!

JavierTF
just joined

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:46 am

I have written a script that takes the name of the devices discovered in dude (the IP) and contrasts them with the devices that appear in the list of neigbour, if it locates them, it replaces its name with the value of identity.

The only drawback is that devices that do not appear in the list (such as ubiquiti's edgeswitch) will not be updated

I hope it helps you
:local neighbor;
:foreach device in=[/dude device find] do={
    :set neighbor [/ip neighbor find address=[/dude device get $device name]];
    if ($neighbor != "") do={
       /dude device set $device name=[/ip neighbor get $neighbor value-name=identity];
    }
}

cmassey
just joined

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:25 pm

I'm having the same problem with the Device Name setting to the IP address of the Device instead of using the SNMP information. I was thinking I could be doing something wrong but maybe this bug just hasn't been fixed in the last 3 years? Does this feature seem to work for anyone else yet?