Community discussions

MikroTik App

chris-oct
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Vista Support

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:36 pm

I tried my "The Dude" map on Windows Vista yesterday and everything went red. It appears the ping features are not working correctly, so the map thinks everything is down.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:02 am

It could be the vista's firewall that is blocking dude's polls

winkelman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:41 pm

Vista's firewall is two-way and can also block outgoing traffic (previous Windows Firewall versions only checked incoming traffic), so that might just be your problem.

BulleriNET
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

ran fine on vista

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:25 pm

i ran it on vista and had no issues but i turned off the firewall

jphilbert
just joined

Vista and Dude

Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:23 pm

I have vista working on Dude FW turned off ...no problems what so ever

dhebert
just joined

Re: Vista Support

Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:10 pm

I'm having the same issue on Vista. I noticed this:

1. When Vista firewall is completely turned off, pinging works fine

2. In the Advanced Firewall console when you add an All Programs Allowed exception on all ports it works as well, so I'm wondering if it has to do with another child process or program that's doing the pinging? I already tried using sysinternals' Process Monitor and couldn't see any child processes.

Option 1 and 2 are not viable workarounds for obvious reasons. Hope someone out there has an idea...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:51 pm

you either want to allow dude to access everything ... or you don't. there is no other option. dude monitors a lot of services, not just ping.

dhebert
just joined

Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:18 pm

Yes, you want Dude to be able to do everything, which is the whole purpose for Program Exceptions with Windows Firewall; but you don't want everyone else on your network to be able to do everything on your computer; that's just me though... So disabling my firewall or enabling exceptions for all programs (which are the only options that work) are not viable solutions.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:50 pm

Yes, you want Dude to be able to do everything, which is the whole purpose for Program Exceptions with Windows Firewall; but you don't want everyone else on your network to be able to do everything on your computer; that's just me though... So disabling my firewall or enabling exceptions for all programs (which are the only options that work) are not viable solutions.
sounds like a Vista lack-of-feature. How about a normal firewall program?

dhebert
just joined

Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Actually, Vista's firewall is much more granular than the XP firewall was. You can set pretty much any kind of block or exception for anything. All programs, one program, no programs, ports, inbound and outbound rules, based on if you're connected to a public, private, or domain network, ipsec requisites... etc.. I would compare it to any other firewall out there. XP's.. no, Vista's yes.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:54 pm

but if you can make an "all allow" rule for one program only (Dude), then how is that compromising the security of your PC? that should allow you to do what you wanted, no?

dhebert
just joined

Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:18 pm

Creating a program exception was the very first thing I did; didn't work. Sorry, I assumed that was a given.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 02, 2008 10:39 am

Creating a program exception was the very first thing I did; didn't work. Sorry, I assumed that was a given.
that's why I mentioned a vista bug. Because apparently it doesn't do what it says it does ... maybe it's something else. We will test.

dhebert
just joined

Fri May 02, 2008 8:13 pm

I have several programs exceptions that work fine.. that doesn't rule out a bug in Vista's firewall though, but testing would be appreciated :D

Just in case, the two options that worked were 1) disable the firewall altogether, and 2) creating an allow 'all programs' exception in the advanced security firewall console; not to be mistaken for allowing all ports for a program. Which is why I suspected another process doing the pinging.

Thanks for looking into this.

CrazyTerabyte
just joined

Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:03 am

I just wanted to add that I've just tested The Dude 3.0beta8 on Windows Vista Home Premium (that came pre-installed with a Asus laptop). I'm noticing the exact same behavior.

The Dude can't ping any hosts other than localhost, even if it is added as exception to windows firewall, or even if the windows firewall itself is off.

I've also tried to "Run as administrator", but the behavior has not changed.

Command-line ping command works, though.

I've tried to ping the host that is directly connected to me (using an ethernet cross-over cable), so there are no routers between us. Command-line ping works. The Dude doesn't. The same happens to any remote host.

Note that The Dude could monitor all other services that I tested (ssh, http).

Sorry, but I won't be able to test this again later. I will remove Vista and install Linux in the next days.

odie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:02 pm

why dont you use a mikrotik system as dude server - that is much easier and does not make any troubels....
vista does has many voodoo things for using it reliabe monitoring system...
also the mt licence is cheaper then a vista home version .....

janwschut
just joined

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:49 pm

why dont you use a mikrotik system as dude server - that is much easier and does not make any troubels....
vista does has many voodoo things for using it reliabe monitoring system...
also the mt licence is cheaper then a vista home version .....

Hi, that will be nice.
Can someone tell me how to do this. (running dude on a x86 RouterOs system)?
Till now my dude is working perfect on an old xp.
JWS