Community discussions

MikroTik App

Tony Burton
Topic Author

Bug Report - Unconfigurable Windows in Release 2.0

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:57 pm

When I tried to arrange my Dude windows today, they have become unconfigurable. There is only one window and I can not insert another.

The sequence of events was this:
- insert new window on the left
- insert new window below

And now there is just one window.

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:16 pm

Had the same today. Restored the backup from yesterday...

winkelman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:46 pm

I have had such an issues already for some time (since beta 10 or something). I cannot open Windows anymore by double-clicking. I can only open things by right-click --> Open in Separate Window.

Uldis requested my backup file and I sent this to support 10 days ago. Haven't heard from them back yet.

I hope it's fixable, because I do not have a recent backup without this problem.

Tony Burton
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:32 pm

I don't have a backup without this problem, either.

I hope Uldis is working on this one.

znet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Bad Panels

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:49 am

Having the same irritating problem all day long :oops: :!:

Will be working, then the main client window cant display maps or anything unless you 'Open Separately'. This just doesnt work for development obviously.

I have been working on a system with hundreds of devices with bitmap maps as the background. Currently have about 50 maps. I have resorted to backing it up when its still working also. Has anyone had a new map just stay suspended in 'Loading...' forever? Cant

I found one workaround, but it doesnt last.
Open Admin 'Separately' and add another administrative user with full rights. Then login as that new user and so far, it will restore the normal functionality for a while for that user. I keep adding new 'backup' users so I can keep working, but I am on about the third one, just today. Its getting frustrating.

Figure this on out guys...SZ

eterion
just joined

Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:34 am

To expand on the workaround:
create another admin with full rights, for example "root". Log in as root, delete the original admin ("admin") and then create it again, and it will work for that login again. Still, I hope they fix this soon. It's annoying.

znet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Workaround and XML Backups

Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:55 am

Regarding the expansion on the workaround:
It seems that it is critical that the original user that created objects, still exists. I have run across situations where I couldnt edit a device because 'operation not allowed', even though I was a 'full' administrative user created in the workaround. If you recreate the 'admin' user, I wonder if there is an object ID associated with the name that might not necessarily be the same as the object ID that created it.

Probably is OK if you have been doing it. I have been working on a restored installation on another machine, and so far, it has continued to work. Still have had a few crashes and other anomalies, but sticking to exporting the xml backup regularly. However, the restored installation allowed me to use the original 'admin' user with the normal functionality and that would theoretically be the same 'object ID' admin user. Just something to consider...

BTW, regarding another thread that questioned the xml backup. It must be done from the host server machine. I tried it from the remote, logged into the host server, and it gave me a 3MB backup file as opposed to a 33MB xml file off the server. It obviously only backs up the 'local' server....

winkelman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Workaround and XML Backups

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:31 am

BTW, regarding another thread that questioned the xml backup. It must be done from the host server machine. I tried it from the remote, logged into the host server, and it gave me a 3MB backup file as opposed to a 33MB xml file off the server. It obviously only backs up the 'local'
server....
Not if you make sure there's no local server running.

Here are my steps to install a Dude 'client' that makes sure there's nothing running locally. I can make 'local' backups of the 'remote server' just fine when running like this. (These steps may just be a little too detailed for you experts... well, you get the idea :D )
1. Run the Dude installer, press next, agree to the license and choose English
2. Make the following choices:
• choose ‘Reset configuration’ (never use this option on the Dude server)
• do not install ‘The Dude Server’
• choose ‘Start Menu Shortcuts’
3. Default install location is OK (‘C:\Program Files\Dude’)
4. After installation is finished, run The Dude
5. You will now see the ‘Device Discovery’ window: press Cancel!
6. Click on the green, running ‘Server’ button in the top toolbar. Turn off the ‘Enable on Localhost’ and press Ok. (Now The Dude will repeatedly try to connect the server that is not running anymore on the PC itself. That’s OK.)
7. Click on the ‘Preferences’ button in the top toolbar. Turn off all options except 'Status Bar' The only option remaining on is ‘Status Bar’. Press Ok. (Now The Dude will stop trying to connect.)
8. Close The Dude and start it up again.
9. Now the server button will be gray (not running), that’s good.
10. You will also see the ‘Connect’ window. Choose:
Mode: remote
Username: ...
Password: ...
Connect to: ... (the Dude server)
Port: 2210
Press Connect

That's it. (You may have to select the correct Network Map.)

Ozelo

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:40 pm

I got the same issue about unconfigurable windows and also have added another full rights user... But I have noticed something else. When you login with the new user, there is another panel for this user. How to delete panels created for users that no longer exist? i.e. I have deleted the "admin" user, but there still the admin panel from that IP... Any tries to delete result in a "cannot change builtin" msg thing. I would like to ask to completely remove these "deleting builtin" restrictions out. Is that even possible? Thanks...