Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ozelo
Topic Author

Will DUDE have a 3.0 beta soon?

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:23 pm

The DUDE 2.0 release is great and stable than ever, but we still looking for a couple fixes and features. Please, any feed back about it are appreciated.

Can I resume my wishes from what I have seen on 2.0 release? :)

- Auto Scan: Why dude is removing/replacing devices already added from its original positions? When I run auto scan, simply it mess my maps layout even if I do NOT select any of that check boxes in the "advanced" tab of the "device discovery" window. Btw, what is used to be the "serviceless" new one?

- Export PDF: PDF are being exported without any colors/fonts. I only see black/white boxes and links labeled with small system fonts. Perhaps there are something I should config? i.e. windows fonts, adobe misconfigs, etc...

- You may notice that I am one who like to manualy place map objects to best design a map layout according to my geograph regin. Please, would be very useful IF, when moving a object on a map, it should show its X,Y coordinates to make it easy while doing alignment between objects. Im actually using the "grid.png" as background, but still difficult due to screen resolutions. Isnt nice if DUDE could have this feature?

- PLEASE, by the nine circles of hell: "Cut, Copy and Paste" feature for map objects is highly required since dude was an egg. ;)

So far, thank you all and have a happy new year!! 8)

jphilbert
just joined

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:31 pm

I SECOND THAT I would Worship Satan if you coud ADD ---- Cut, Copy, Paste. Oh yea and Right Click on a object to add linkto another object

(FYI worship satan is a joke)

Qoute
- PLEASE, by the nine circles of hell: "Cut, Copy and Paste" feature for map objects is highly required since dude was an egg.

sky

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:41 pm

And I'm waiting for multiply links between devices :D cos now I'm using static dummies to create two links between two devices :?

and absolutely agree with Ozelo and jphilbert. We need these cut, copy and paste features 8)

znet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

CUT, COPY, PASTE

Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:21 am

Ditch the discover and autoscan and I will still make a map faster with
the elemental cut, copy and paste, and not only that, it will be more accurate.

Dont know how many times I instinctively try this since it such an intuitive method.

I have found myself making dummy objects to link to due to the unpredicatable behavior of the placement of the link rate object. Might we be able to place that object? You can 'link' an object to itself to display linkrates, but the like rate box is underneath the target object, and unusable.

How about being able to change the color of the label text? Codification of objects makes maps much more meaningful except when the contrast reduces the readability of the label text.

While we are on cut, copy and paste, that should also apply to maps. If you have repetitive network topologies needing individual maps you have to recreate them every time! Come on, how about 'Right-Click'--'Copy Map'?

I am in rapid development of a usable Dude implementation, but also rapidly developing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:28 am

the good news is that we are making this as the next feature. you can mail those souls now :)

Ozelo
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:15 pm

the good news is that we are making this as the next feature. you can mail those souls now
*cheers* 8)

znet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

CUT, COPY, PASTE

Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:16 pm

Thanks for the good news.

Forgot to mention that my PDFs are coming out just fine. However, since there is a repetitive export feature, there doesnt seem to be any way to specify the output directory. Also, as with other like systems, the ability to parameterize the output filename and directory would be appropriate. It currently seems to put it in the files folder, and I suspect overwrite the last version. Not good for history and archiving, especially when you need to reference the archived PDF for an old object, or to see what it used to do. Axis Camera FTP output is a good example of how it can be parameterized. That way you can direct archive PDF output to:

<drive letter:>\yyyymmdd\mapfilename.pdf

Also, need a manual Tool to 'Export All Maps' to PDF. Since this is the only real way to save yourself from losing data without having to recreate the entire system from the XML file, its handy to export the PDF as a backup.

While I'm thinking about this, the behavior of default labels is either unstable or having trouble. If you put a 'template' label in the map settings for lets say for CPE, and then you also add APs to the map, I have had some trouble with the labels on some devices reverting back to a previous version. There seems to be a difference between a device that is added with custom label variables, and the default map setting variables. If the device has a custom label, it either reverts, possibly depending on device type, or it doesnt change when the 'master' map setting device device label is changed. Just need it to be consistent. I have seen some of my devices' labels change when changing the master map setting device label text, but it seems that the devices added later with a different set of label variables dont change, even if you want them to.

I know this is probably by design for obvious reasons, but there is a very important development concept missing. :idea: Bottom Line Scenario:
If you have experimented around and used some great SNMP oids to create a very functional label, you would want to put that into the 'master' map setting label text box. This of course is after you have created a bunch of other similiar devices that have 'old' labels that were present in the master map setting device label. If you then change the master, if I am not mistaken, it just seems to change only the original devices created, not the newer objects with the better custom label. Thus, the only way to solve this without total re-creation, would be to create a new map, put the new and better label in it and 'copy and paste the devices from the old map. You would then hope it would allow mass update to 'all' devices on the new map. Alternatively, checkbox for tagging the objects for 'mass change' or 'update with master label' might solve the problem. Nevertheless, see how this actually ties into Cut, Copy and Paste?

Also, other components of the system, like startup map, the default output directory for a manual export of 'Tools'-Export PDF should be configurable in some 'preferences' section. Currently it always starts at someplace like the Desktop. Another instance of too many mouse clicks for repetitive operations.

BTW, the web server is still very unstable. Hit or miss if continually runs. Not yet a problem, but unclear as to why it takes so long to come up after restarting the Dude, and why it isnt reliable. However, I have found one reason it does fail. I use remote desktop to access the server its running on. I finally correlated the remote deskto access to the subsequent failure of the web server. Solved that by doing all development with the remote client. Sadly, the record for continuous operation is only about 30 hours. That was with intentionally not using RDP on the server machine. Machine is a Dell 2850 dual-Xeon, 2GB RAM, 2K3 and Dude is only application running on machine, and I am only one accessing Dude, so that was a controlled test. Only thing I can think of is it is not SP2. I want to be in front of machine when I perform that upgrade. Think that could affect the web server? BTW, no IIS installed on machine either. Trying to run very clean environment for stability testing.

Sorry to be so verbose, but spend a lot of hours in Dude development. Every time-saving improvement is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and the good work is greatly appreciated. :D

sky

Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:46 pm

Another feature i would like to see is to exporting/importing separate map into/from separate file. I have to unite two xml-files exported from two different dude servers and have no idea how to get it.

Single solution in my mind is to create one xml file from 2 exported xml files manually :?

djape

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:47 pm

Some solution for messaging as we use "fake" device and write messages instead of its name.
We have 4-5 admins watching The Dude all the time and it's pretty cool to chat over Dude when there is a problem on the network.

Cheers...