MikroTik App

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Dude basic troubleshooting

Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Hello,
I am just starting with the dude, I could enable it on a Mikrotik, I installed the software in a computer, I could connect to the router and I see a network map. Now, I could not find anything useful on it.
Many basic questions:
1) Are there any tutorial or guide to troubleshoot a network?
2) What does it exactly mean the color on the devices?
3) How can I see if a device stopped pingued sometime?
4) How can I see if a device traffic a lot?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Damián

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Dude basic troubleshooting

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:44 pm

1) Are there any tutorial or guide to troubleshoot a network?
You dont trobleshoot in the dude. Dude only show you whats up and down, and some other parameter, like cpu usage, bandwith etc. Its a tool that make you have the overview of manny devices, but not 100% exactly whats wrong. It can tell you where to start troble shoot.

2) What does it exactly mean the color on the devices?

In practical use - Green up - red down. If you poll more than one service. eg ping work, ssh dont - it can be orange.

3) How can I see if a device stopped pingued sometime?

You setup polling ping - and its up - green Down - red.

4) How can I see if a device traffic a lot?

The easies way to se traffic in a mikrotik device is to do a Routeros polling. If you have 2 devices - put them to map - and make a connection between them. Then poll on of the interfaces pointing to eachorter - and you will have a nice grap - and a on the fly number on your line.

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Thanks a lot for your answer

I remain 2 questions:
About the 3º question, I can use the color to know the state in real time, but I was wondering about a history (For example, What happened in the last day). I know I can double click on a device and see the time of response of any service on "History" tab, but if I have more than 1 service, the ping value is almost 0 and its line is about horizontal in 0 (I cannot see anything)
About the 4º question, Is there a way to check trafic in a wan interface without other Mikrotik outside? I mean, this Customer has just 1 site and hasn't any other Mikrotik connected to Internet, they have 1 router Mikrotik and 4 APs Mikrotik connected to the lan side of the router. I know I can see the traffic in winbox in interfaces but I also want to know if it is posible to check a history with the dude.

Thanks in advance.
Regard

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:19 pm

Thanks a lot for your answer

I remain 2 questions:
About the 3º question, I can use the color to know the state in real time, but I was wondering about a history (For example, What happened in the last day). I know I can double click on a device and see the time of response of any service on "History" tab, but if I have more than 1 service, the ping value is almost 0 and its line is about horizontal in 0 (I cannot see anything)

There is manny ways of seing history. You have the up/down's, but can also have SMS/email/syslog or whatever you prefeeer. Yo can run a script, that you tell whatever you want the dude to do if annything is detected as up/down (or other parameters) If you have manny devices, you can sort by most dissconnects etc, and try to figure out what you want.

About the 4º question, Is there a way to check trafic in a wan interface without other Mikrotik outside? I mean, this Customer has just 1 site and hasn't any other Mikrotik connected to Internet, they have 1 router Mikrotik and 4 APs Mikrotik connected to the lan side of the router. I know I can see the traffic in winbox in interfaces but I also want to know if it is posible to check a history with the dude.

If you have access to a device, you can poll it like you want. You can use SNMP and have almoust anny device you want polled in dude. Also with ping - its not even mandatory to have snmp - if the device can respond to a ping - you can poll it

In your setup - if dude is on internet side, and the devices are on lan side - you will need to have some kind of VPN. As long as you have a route from the dude server to a device - and it resond on a IP address, you can poll it.

Thanks in advance.