Community discussions

MikroTik App

Insider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Dude on RB11004AHx4 Dude edition

Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:05 pm

We are meeting quite bothering situation about Dude installed on, which we bought because of very poor behaviour on CCR1036, unfortunately it behaves here even worse and we need to restart system every 24 hours - but last weeks even that is not enough.. Any such experience ?

maxsaf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Dude on RB11004AHx4 Dude edition

Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:53 pm

Could you describe what is poor behavior in your case? We are also unhappy customers using a RB11004AHx4 Dude edition.

Insider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:42 am

Could you describe what is poor behavior in your case? We are also unhappy customers using a RB11004AHx4 Dude edition.
After some time, usually after 14 day, on CCR the ROS started to colabse, first crashed dude it self, after came services starting to be not accessible (telnet, ssh, web), then finally was accessible only MAC telnet thru which it was possible to reboot device (once device passes traffic of several hundreds client it is big problem to wait until late night to restart it and get Dude working). Then there was gaps in graphs during regular operation.
The RB1100AHx4 is even worse, disappered gaps in graph, but systems fails with services sometime several times during day, sometimes after a week, so I made simple script, which restarts it every evening 2AM, even that doesn help. Router makes pure dude, nothing else. The fatality is that you have to access it physically to restart it so the double power unit is has no sense, once you need it to unplug both to get it working.. You can imagine what job is that in crowded rack, which is even 2km from office.. Thinking about returnig it..

maxsaf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:17 pm

After migration to The Dude 6.41.2 on RB11004AHx4 Dude edition most of our graphs has gaps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:35 pm

RB1100ahx4 is great for networking, very efficient and powerful machine

is not about stability, you must be aware of computational power of rb1100ahx4 router CPU, its a little A15 ARM quad core like a high end smartphone or tablet cpu, you must size the dude accordingly:

For rb750gr3
maximum of 40 services monitoring and maximum 4 days of raw value data storage and maximum 75 mega-byte database size

For rb1100ahx4
maximum of 80 services and maximum 4 days of raw value data storage and maximum 150 mega-byte database size

For ccr1036
maximum of 160 services and maximum 4 days of raw value data storage and maximum 300 mega-byte database size

Anything beyond that you will have not good results

beyond that you need a separate x86 device to host the dude

for big networks multiple virtualized instances of the dude will be needed, decent ssd storage etc etc

always keep the dude database size under 500mega-byte to keep good performance

Network monitoring IS NOT a light task

is a very intensive one not only in terms of CPU usage but in terms of storage i/o too

NEVER use onboard storage to sotrage the dude database for long term usage, in the case of rb1100ahx4 dude edition always use the 60gb ssd to host it

because monitoring is very write intensive it leads to a premature exhaustion of finite and scarce write cycles of the flash memory

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:01 pm

Very nicely written. But where did you take the sizing numbers from?

Insider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:48 pm

After migration to The Dude 6.41.2 on RB11004AHx4 Dude edition most of our graphs has gaps
This is, what was making on CCR, no longer such problem on that RB1100AH4, only sometime, but it gets sorted out by averaging
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Insider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:00 pm

is not about stability, you must be aware of computational power of rb1100ahx4 router CPU, its a little A15 ARM quad core like a high end smartphone or tablet cpu, you must size the dude accordingly:

For rb750gr3
maximum of 40 services monitoring and maximum 4 days of raw value data storage and maximum 75 mega-byte database size

For rb1100ahx4
maximum of 80 services and maximum 4 days of raw value data storage and maximum 150 mega-byte database size

For ccr1036
maximum of 160 services and maximum 4 days of raw value data storage and maximum 300 mega-byte database size

for big networks multiple virtualized instances of the dude will be needed, decent ssd storage etc etc

is a very intensive one not only in terms of CPU usage but in terms of storage i/o too

NEVER use onboard storage to sotrage the dude database for long term usage, in the case of rb1100ahx4 dude edition always use the 60gb ssd to host it

because monitoring is very write intensive it leads to a premature exhaustion of finite and scarce write cycles of the flash memory
Thank you for some hints, which I hadn't think of. The RAM will be probably crucial as system says 890MBytes used of 1GB total. This can be answer..

That is really funny, Dude just crashed completely..

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:04 pm

This happened to me three times already too. For the first time I tried to make mikrotik to find a reason and correct it. Unfortunately they were unable to do that. I solved that by importing a dude backup back.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:48 am

Very nicely written. But where did you take the sizing numbers from?
that numbers come exclusively from my personal experience deploying the dude

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:56 am

For rb750gr3

For rb1100ahx4

For ccr1036

Thank you for some hints, which I hadn't think of. The RAM will be probably crucial as system says 890MBytes used of 1GB total. This can be answer..

That is really funny, Dude just crashed completely..
good point that i have not take in count

routeros in general do some strange things when runs out of ram memory

if your router have a heavy use of ram that's another resource the router will run out

every time i have used the dude on a router the router had idle resources enough to support the dude

in the case of a rb1100ahx4 with a configuration hungry of ram memory (surely with many simple queues) 1gb of ram gets used quickly

another frecuent problem with the dude is when you build a complex monitoring and later on you delete many elements to make it lighter, for some reason disk and ram usage does not come down even after a vacuum procedure
Last edited by chechito on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:58 am

This happened to me three times already too. For the first time I tried to make mikrotik to find a reason and correct it. Unfortunately they were unable to do that. I solved that by importing a dude backup back.
ohh yeah

happened to me many times over the years, only needs a power outage to get the database corrupted

very important to do periodic backups with the dude, and get a reliable power source for equipment running the dude to mitigate the problem

maxsaf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:04 am

So why we have issues only with monitoring SNMP supporting devices and no issues using RouterOS API? Sure it is a same amount of data.