Community discussions

MikroTik App

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

A VPS to run Dude

Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:22 pm

I am thinking of moving my dude server on vps instance. 512 MB RAM, around 10GB of ssd, xeon core, 100mbit connectivity with public ipv4 and that all for USD 2-3 monthly... That's another performance dimension and even cheaper than buying whatever device.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB850Gx2 vs RB450Gx4

Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:59 pm

I am thinking of moving my dude server on vps instance. 512 MB RAM, around 10GB of ssd, xeon core, 100mbit connectivity with public ipv4 and that all for USD 2-3 monthly... That's another performance dimension and even cheaper than buying whatever device. But it is a bit off topic now.

i think that is an excellent point of view

can you confirm the provider?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: A VPS to run Dude

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:24 am

I cannot confirm anything so far, just trying to find cheapest yet working product somewhere... I will maybe choose something from these:

https://www.axfone.cz/ceny/hostingove-s ... rvery-vps/

http://4smart.cz

https://www.hukot.net/cs/virtual-servery/

Or another if it will be cheaper and with unmetered traffic.

nikc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:28 am

I would like to do the same ... so be keen to find out how you get on.

I actually have a server i host lots of VPS's on but have never found the time to get my head round how to spin up the raw img and turn it into a VM i can see in SolusVM (VPS management tool).

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:33 am

One of the providers told me that I can convert vmware workstation virtual machine over something called "dd" to their vps service. But chr is installable from ISO so maybe no need of moving anything when I can install it directly.

nikc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:36 am

I've never been able to find that iSO ? do you have a link ... with an ISO i could have a VPS spun up in no time at all ... litterally minutes.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:41 pm

But chr is installable from ISO
Since when?
Where is it?
Screenshot_6.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nikc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:01 am

I'm guessing this is the ISO:

https://download.mikrotik.com/routeros/ ... 6.42.4.iso

Boot and install RouterOS from that then add the dude server package.

There is no ISO for CHR however.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:27 pm

I am sorry, there is no ISO for installing CHR from. How could I think that? Only x86 is installable from ISO but it is not 64bit and it has different licensing model... Well. Another problem to solve.

Anyway, if normis or whoever from mikrotik by any chance read this, why there can't be CHR ISO installer?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:12 pm

It shouldn't be too hard to make one. Basically you need the smallest possible Linux environment that boots from CD, takes CHR image and uses that something called "dd" to write it to disk. Don't look at me, I'm too lazy for that, especially when I don't need it myself. But anyone with at least average Linux experience should be able to create such thing.

nikc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:32 pm

OK sorted it - pretty easy ....

Fire up VPS using UBCD, then launch into Clonezilla (its actually a partion magic desktop).
wget -no-check-certificate url_for_chr.img
dd if=path/to/chr.img of=/dev/sda

And thats it ... sorted, time to migrate from the AWS one I have thats costs !!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:40 pm

Anyway, if normis or whoever from mikrotik by any chance read this, why there can't be CHR ISO installer?
Why is there always another format desired? I am very happy that OVA was added and I installed my Dude test VM from there.
(only to play with it, I don't really use it in production)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:16 am

Because there could be ISO only and everyone could be able to install chr everywhere just like x86.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:52 am

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:07 pm

Thanks for link. It is inspirative but I think it does not apply to described situation. I am not going to play with Ubuntu just for installing ros into vps.

nikc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:10 pm

Thanks for link. It is inspirative but I think it does not apply to described situation. I am not going to play with Ubuntu just for installing ros into vps.
But booting from UBCD will get you the same anyway ... so you wouldnt need to.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:38 pm

Why is there always another format desired? I am very happy that OVA was added and I installed my Dude test VM from there.
(only to play with it, I don't really use it in production)
Because when you go to a cloud provider and tell them to give them a .img or a .ova file to create your VM from, they look you like you are an alien at best or don't even reply to you at worst.

Not everyone is Amazon (with feature rich and 100% self service UIs), nor everyone runs their own hypervisors so they can install CHR however they like.

CHR is really restrictive in terms of actually being able to use it the real world of cloud/vm providers.
And x86's (which is easy to install everywhere) licensing policy in the 'cloud' is simply not compatible.

SPKA16

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:09 pm

All major hypervisors support ova templates - Yours should as well. The more clicks you can save as admin the happier they should be that they get a ova instead of something else.
But before the ova download option we used to download the disk itself, and they are still provided like that (vmdk, vmdx, vhd ..) Cant you simple provide those and use that as a disk?

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:51 pm

All major hypervisors support ova templates
I was talking about providers.
Hypevisors may support a million things. That doesn't mean that all features are exposed to end users by cloud providers.

Cloud providers have very restrictive policies as to what you can run and how you can install new OSes. Most give you a specific "supported" list of OSes and that's it.
Many support custom ISOs. But I've yet to see one that supports (in a self service manner - after all we are talking about "Cloud") installing a raw .img or an .ova.

These installation options are "OK" when you own the hardware. But are almost useless when you want to use CHR as an enduser/customer of a cloud provider.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:04 pm

... And that's my intention. Thanks for understanding.