Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

scottvd
Topic Author

Monitoring Trango SUs associated with the AP

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:05 am

Is it possible to use The Dude to monitor Trango (Atlas) SUs associated to an AP? I would like to keep a running history of each individual SUs RSSI level at both the SU and AP side, temperature, and TX power level.

I notice if you add the SUID to the end of Trango's OIDs that will poll that individual SU, but is there an automated method of just adding say the parent OID and appending the SUID with a variable, preferably from a list of associated SUs polled from the AP?

Thanks in advance,
Scott Vander Dussen

firebat

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:11 am

Hi Scott:

Yes, you can add all of this info. The AP is the only element that has an SNMP engine and it polls the SUs for the SU RSSI and associated values. If you perform an SNMP walk on the AP, you'll see the SU table. For SU specific info, I created some functions to get all of the pertinent info for the SU when you hover over the SU in the MAP. To do this, I use the three custom fields in the SU settings.

Field 1: Customer name
Field 2: AP IP address
Field 3: SU number

My functions then use field 2 and 3 to get the SU X data from AP Y

On the AP-SU links in the map, we add the following OIDs to the link Appearance and set the Device IP to the APs IP. Currently, there isn't a way to use the attached SU custom field 3 as you can only point to one device IP and that must be the AP. I requested an enhancement to allow more options in using other device IPs/fields but I'm still waiting for the enhancement. Thus, you must manually add the SU ID to the OID. In the example below, the RSSI info will be polled for SU 8. This will add more network traffic as its polled every 10 seconds. If you want to poll less frequently, then you don't want to add it to a link (I requested a configurable parameter for link polling also...still waiting):

AP RSSI: [oid("iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.trango.tbw.m5830sap.su.suInfoTable.suInfoEntry.suRSSIFromSU.8")]
SU RSSI: [oid("iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.trango.tbw.m5830sap.su.suInfoTable.suInfoEntry.suRSSIFromAP.8")]

For temp, you can plot the AP temp but the Atlas Foxes don't have temp sensors. You can plot AP ingress/egress traffic for the wireless or ether interfaces, or for each SU. We plot SU throughput for SUs that we use for backhauls to satellite towers. I asked Trango for the max SNMP requests per second/min but they didn't have this info :? So we don't poll everything as we are not sure what the limit is for CPU util and SNMP.

Hope that helps. If you need more info, let me know. You have my email address :-)

Ryan

scottvd
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:51 pm

Ryan-
Thanks for the quick reply and useful information. I added the two strings you listed to the apperance of an AP I am monitoring by simple ICMP - as expected it displays the two RSSI values of SUID 8.

1. Must every SU be manually added in this fashion?
2. Does The Dude keep a log of the RSSI values, or are they only displayed for the moment?
3. How often is the AP polled for data in the apperance tab, is this adjustable?
4. The SNMP walk is cool, is there a way to create a script to extract the data I am interested in and log that to histroical charts, and run every X min?

Thanks,
Scott Vander Dussen

firebat

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:15 pm

Ryan-
Thanks for the quick reply and useful information. I added the two strings you listed to the apperance of an AP I am monitoring by simple ICMP - as expected it displays the two RSSI values of SUID 8.

1. Must every SU be manually added in this fashion?
2. Does The Dude keep a log of the RSSI values, or are they only displayed for the moment?
3. How often is the AP polled for data in the apperance tab, is this adjustable?
4. The SNMP walk is cool, is there a way to create a script to extract the data I am interested in and log that to histroical charts, and run every X min?

Thanks,
Scott Vander Dussen
1. I add an SU element for every SU that exists in the network. I then add a link between the AP and SU. I then modify the appearance of this link and add the two RSSI OIDs posted above. OIDs for links are polled every 10 seconds. Currently, yes, you need to do this manually.

2. Dude will keeps the RSSI values. You need to create a chart and plot the values. You can then create a panel that is composed of multiple charts.

3. I believe the appearance of an element is at the Dude default poll interval (1min).

4. Any OID that you have used in DUDE creates a data source that can be used for plotting on a chart. You can also add additional data sources by selecting charts, clicking on the data sources, and adding the corresponding OID. You could also add map element and simply modify the appearance to have OIDs for all values that you are interested in monitoring for an AP. You can also add data sources from snmp walk.