Community discussions

MikroTik App

omberli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Newbie Dude installation

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:23 am

I'm trying to figure out how to set up The Dude in order to simplify my administration of 50+ Mikrotik units. Have downloaded the server (npk) and client software. Client software is installed on a win7 PC and starts ok (I think).

On the server side, I uploaded the npk file to my Mikrotik unit (have tried two different units - a SXT 5HPnD and a 951-2n). After a reboot I can't see any traces of the Dude. Trying the activate command from terminal indicates that /dude or dude are unknown commands. Even lost access to the SXT unit..

Question is then - what am I doing wrong? Do I need other hardware? Do I need other (additional) software? Router OS is version 6.43.4.
Another question: Will I need to install the dude.npk on all Mikrotik units in my network?

-Olaf-

Hoov
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Newbie Dude installation

Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:33 pm

The SXT will not run the dude, and neither will the 951. Both those units use the MIPSBE version of router OS. If you want to use The Dude, you need to pick a device that will run it. If you look on the download page, https://mikrotik.com/download you can see which devices will support the Dude (It is listed under that download). Right now I have the Dude running well on a RB750Gr3 (a hEX). So yes you do need different hardware. And once it is installed, it only needs to be on the one device, as well as whatever windows computer is running the client. It connects to the other Mikrotik, and non Mikrotik devices thru the network to get the information you are requesting.

omberli
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:59 pm

Thanks!
Have ordered a cAP ac that will run The Dude.
It also seems like it will run on a x86 hardware. Does this mean that it could run on a PC (without Windows OS)? Is the CD image on the download page actually something that could be installed on a "clean" PC or perhaps on a virtual machine under Windows?

-Olaf-

Hoov
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:15 am

I believe the x86 iso is a linux distro that will run on a windows machine, but do not quote me on that. I have not tried it, as I do not have an extra machine to try it on right now.

matuss

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:26 pm

I'm not sure if cAP ac was designed to run Dude. However, I'm positive that hEX S was designed and will run it. (microSD card can be used to store dude data).

x86 image is package meant to be installed within Mikrotik CHR (https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CHR), that is virtual machine with RouterOS.
So yes, it can run on a PC, just keep in mind that you shouldn't turn it off (or you will have empty gaps in your history).