Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

jamesn
Topic Author

Oid in label

Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:31 pm

I've been setting up monitoring for a wireless network (Motorola Canopy in my case) and found out how to put the RSSI & Jitter in the label by using the OIDs (seeing all clients' RSSI/jitter on an AP at a glance is nice for spotting possible trouble). However, I am noticing that these values are updating much more frequently than the polling interval (just from watching it, it appears to be about every 10-15 seconds). I've got the polling interval at 00:03:00 (I assume 3 minutes) on the server settings and the map is set for 'default' which I assume means to use the server setting. I've also tried setting the map to 00:03:00 as well, but this doesn't seem to change. This isn't a big deal, but I'd like to decrease the frequency this poll happens due to the large number of devices I'm monitoring, and I plan to use Cacti to get a historical graph of these values in the near future so it's going to be doing a bunch of polling as well.

Is there somewhere to set how often this value is updated, or should I do this another way? Thanks,

::James Nelson

firebat

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:57 am

Nope, now way to decrease the frequency from the standard 10 seconds (Same as links). I made a request months ago for this enhancment as this frequency of polling doesn't scale (Too much background traffic and APs are getting hammered if you are monitoring all SM links). Sill waiting for the featurette. :cry:

jamesn
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:44 pm

That's too bad, as it means that I won't be able to use the Dude to monitor (or at least display) signal strength on our client machines just due to the number of client connections (I've already noticed a pretty large amount of excess SNMP traffic, and I haven't even added all of our clients yet). I doubt it, but is there any official word on when or if this is being considered for change?

::James

jamesn
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:34 pm

I also assume if I were to use SNMP to pull any info for the label (such as the site/contact name), it would "update" every 10 seconds as well? If this could change, it would be a great feature for autodiscovery. If not, it is a lot of wasted traffic for data that shouldn't change.

::James