Community discussions

ReagleBeagle
just joined
Topic Author

The Dude 6.43.7 - Database IO disk error

Wed May 01, 2019 1:55 am

Hi All,

So we have run The Dude for many years (10?) and over the years the system seems to have developed more and more bugs. Over the last year I have rebuilt the dude manually from scratch twice. Once on a VMware cluster on CHR with fast storage and once on a 1036 with an SSD.

First problem - Randomly the dude will freeze, any addition login attempts will fail simply stating (connecting) unable to log into the 1036 router via Winbox. Only solution is an SSH session and a /system reboot. I have not found what causes this, it has been happening on all Host and storage types.

Second (New) problem. Database IO Error Dude crash. Was happening once a week, is now happening once a day. Again, a reboot of the router will fix the problem for around 24 hours. I have a successful dump of the database it completed with no errors.

The dude is integral to our support team, I would appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks,

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: The Dude 6.43.7 - Database IO disk error

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:56 pm

I have the same problems during the few last years. My database has fastly grown up, has around 1 GB, and is not able to run anymore longer than 2 minutes from dude restart. Then the dude stops with the database malfunction error message.

Years ago I provided all the support (database, access to the server...) to mikrotik in order to help them to find and correct the reason. They did nothing.

cdemers
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:06 pm

I have had this problem at times, i just rebuild my database, deleting all the history as I don't need it. SQLite database is not very efficient when it gets large. Make a backup of your database and try the recovery method below, it will keep all of your devices/map, but get rid of everything else.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Biker111

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi guys

Any solution to this?
I'm designing some major customer solution right now.
I've build monitoring around LibreNMS,- but recently changed to Dude.
So far, running everything with a RB1100AHx4 Dude edition.

Reading this worries me :?

Cheers
Biker

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi guys

Any solution to this?
I'm designing some major customer solution right now.
I've build monitoring around LibreNMS,- but recently changed to Dude.
So far, running everything with a RB1100AHx4 Dude edition.

Reading this worries me :?

Cheers
Biker
You are crazy. You cant sell service based on a discontinued Product. We use the DUDE for us and it works (with some problems). But I would never sell this as part of a solutions to customers. If there is a problem, customer would win every legal proceedings.
In a commercial project I would use a tool with support like PRTG. If the customer does not want to pay the price for professional SW I would not do the job as I am not seeking for problems.

Biker111

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi

Thank's for your answer, very solid arguments you have.

It's a bit sad, I like the Dude, I would wish Mikrotik realised that they must maintain the "whole packet".
We want solutions, router, switches, management etc.

Like a friend told me,- Mikrotik is too expensive. The hardware is cheap, but everything takes time. Poor documentation, complicated setups.
It's cheaper to buy a more expensive Juniper. Saves lots of engineering hours. Configuration is mostly copy/paste from some website.

Me,- I like Mikrotik :)

Cheers
Biker