Community discussions

MikroTik App

s0kud0
just joined
Topic Author

service dependencies

Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:38 am

Is there a way to set service dependencies so that if a machine is truly down (no ping) that the other services will not notify until the machine is back up? As it is now if a machine has several services I get a notification for each service when the machine is down.. I do want those notifications if individual services go down but if the entire machine is down 1 notice that the PING service has failed would be sufficient..

I am using version 2.0 of The Dude..

Thanks so much for making this product it has been fantastic discovering all of the features..

Charles

winkelman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: service dependencies

Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:19 pm

Is there a way to set service dependencies so that if a machine is truly down...
In every device you can set its 'parents'. If a 'parent' is down, The Dude will not report any changes in it's 'children'.

s0kud0
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:38 pm

that is for machine dependencies.. I am looking for service dependencies.. imagine the following scenario:

Server A has HTTP, CPU, DISK, and PING services.. I want to know if any of those 4 go down individually certainly.. but if the machine can't ping then obviously the other 4 services are likely to be down as well because the machine is off of the network.. in this case I really only need one notification that the machine is down PING and not 4 notifications that each other service is down..

I guess I am used to the way Nagios handled this where you had a check_host_alive routine that was separate from the services and if it went down it wouldn't even check the services on that machine until that check_host_alive routine (usually a ping) came back up..

If it's not possible maybe just add it to the list as something to look at in future versions..

Charles