Community discussions

MikroTik App

George90
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Device types question (MikroTik Device/RouterOS)

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:26 am

I installed dude 6.44.6 on test system because I want to move from 4.0beta3. I decided to redraw all maps from scratch, and I seen something confusing. Under device type I can choose "RouterOS" and "Mikrotik Device"
Type.PNG
for MikroTik Device:
Url is: http://[Device.FirstAddress]/cfg?user=[Device.UserName]&password=[Device.Password]&process=login&page=start&backpage=
Required service is "mikrotik"
Ignored services are: mikrotik, ruter, switch

for RouterOS:
Url is: http://[Device.FirstAddress]
Required service is "routeros managment"

Allowed services are different for each type of devices.

What is catch here? When I need to use "MikroTik Device" and when "RouterOS"? In Dude 4.0b3 I have only "MikroTik Device" and I use that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Device types question (MikroTik Device/RouterOS)

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:43 am

Device types shown come from a table you have control over. Click the box with three dots ("...") to the right of the field you show, this will open up all defined device types. Examine the ones you have questions about, see what differences there are and what defaults they have. (Some of the values shown in your image do not come by default with the Dude, so someone at your site defined them locally; I can't know how they are setup.)

On my copy of the Dude, I use this field to define what model of equipment each is. All the MikroTik models are defined equivalently except for their pictures. So it would not matter to the operation of the Dude which model I chose, except that the photo would be incorrect. You could have this sort of duplicate definition as well, you would have to check.

I have found that polling for "mikrotik" is problematic. Sometimes it works fine, other times it never works, other times it goes in and out for no apparent reason. I just poll for ping, and it tells me quite reliably whether or not the unit is operational. I suspect polling for "routeros management" would not be any more reliable.

George90
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:52 pm

(Some of the values shown in your image do not come by default with the Dude, so someone at your site defined them locally; I can't know how they are setup.)
All items in Devices table are not changed, it's brand new clean Dude installation.

So question is what is difference between service "mikrotik" and "routeros managment". Maybe "routeros managment" should be used for RB's and CCR's, and "mikrotik" for devices like CRS.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:34 pm

I will eagerly watch this thread for an answer, because I could never find any utility or advantage to specifying either of them.

tom65

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:46 pm

I assume the "mikrotik device" has to do with hardware whereas the RouterOS device could be a Cloud Hosted Router. This could be helpful when things like firmware would only be in Mikrotik Device but not in CHR device.

excession
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:39 pm

I will eagerly watch this thread for an answer, because I could never find any utility or advantage to specifying either of them.
Mainly you can set specific map icons for particular device types.

You can also set required services for a device type and use custom services to automatically set the device type on detection.