MikroTik App

TomSF
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Network map not showing links

Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:11 pm

Dude 6.46 Beta 35.

I am not a regular user of Dude but played with it in the past and have seen its network maps with links between the devices. I now need a network map and cannot get Dude to layout the network well or show any links between devices. It just plops all discovered devices in a big pile and when dragging any one from the pile, there is no link shown. I've looked everywhere for some setting but can't find it. What am I missing?

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Network map not showing links

Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:36 am

Discovery is cute, but I found it largely useless, as it's only really useful once in the lifetime of a configuration.

The Dude has no idea what the interconnections between various devices are. You have to tell it, by using the "Add Link" choice, then drawing the appropriate lines between devices.

Don't expect the Dude to do your layout for you. It's a manual, artistry-intensive process.

TomSF
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:44 pm

I remember links getting added automatically and found the following sentences in Manual:The Dude v6/Links:

"The Links pane shows all connections between devices that are shown on the map. New Links can be added on the map by clicking Add and then choosing Link. When using the Discovery interface, links get added automatically, but can be viewed and edited here."

The Discovery Interface is adding devices to the map but not links, contrary to what the manual says.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:19 am

OK... I've used the Discovery feature no more than three times in my life, and at least two of those were on the old incarnation of the Dude when the server was on your PC instead of being on the MT device. I don't remember links ever being automatically generated, but my memory could be lacking, or then again maybe the feature just never worked like the manual said.