Community discussions

MikroTik App

smileymattj
Topic Author

Feature Request - Use appropriate data set for graphs display date range selection

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:25 am

I have a fairly large disk space allocated to my dude server. I'm running on a CHR. I would like to keep as much data as possible for each data source. I was keeping raw data for up to 3 years, but when viewing in the scale of 365 days it would be too much data causing the chart not to be easily read. Also causing a lot of lag, freezing, and locking up using the dude client. When backing out to a longer date range. Keeping the display to 1 day or lower wouldn't cause any performance issues. If I lower the amount of data saved, so 3 year old data would be at 1 day. So it will display better for 365 view. Then I lose the ability to drill down if I would like to view hourly stats for that older data.

When adjusting the date range of the display. The Dude should use more appropriate data sets for the best view. Currently it shows the max. If I was to save 90 days of raw data, 180 days of 2 hr, 365 of 1 day; then set the chart to display 365 days. The first 90 days would be displayed in raw values, 180 would show 2hr value, etc...

I feel these data sets are viewed best with these date ranges. Or give the user a drop down of which dataset they'd like to view beside the date scale dropdown.
Raw - 6hr or less raw
10 min - 12 hr to 30 days
2 hr - 60 days to 90 days
1 Day - 180 days to 365 days

Notice on the screenshots below some of the data to the right has too much data to be useful. But dropping that data too soon inhibits your ability to drill down to say min or hourly stats being useful. Also compare the 1 hr screenshot from latest data (Mar 2020) to 1 hr screenshot from 3 years ago (Mar 2017). The 1 hr view on the data set of 1 day values is not useful. However 1 day data set is useful when viewing at 365 date range.

I'd like to use data storage ranges as shown in the screenshot below because I have enough disk space to support that amount of data. But to make the charts view better, I have to lower that from what I'd actually like to use. If the graph display could auto pick the proper data set to display, or allow me to choose the data set I want to see, I could set the settings as high as I desire as long as I have disk space to support it.

I know I can limit the storage and the charts will display better for the most part. But that doesn't help when viewing older data at a short date/time range.

Thank you for your consideration. And great work on the Dude and RouterOS, very good products!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.