Community discussions

MikroTik App

Fi011
just joined
Topic Author

Dude 10061 Error - No connection could be made since target machine actively refuse it.

Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:55 am

I've installed a Dude server to CHR Mikrotik router in AWS cloud. However, I cannot access it as it gives me 10061 error message - No connection could be made since target machine actively refuse it.
I tried with two different instances, with different size, one is the smallest image, second one a medium sized one.One CHR is behind AWS NAT and can access the Internet. I can ping the server's IP through VPN, but I cannot access it. It refuses the connection.Tried standard and secure login, ports 8291, 2210 and 2211. (all ports opened in AWS security gorup).
Opened those ports in input direction in Mikrotik firewall as well. Tried switching Dude enabled yes/no. Rebooted the server few times. Updated ROS and Dude to the latest version.
Second CHR (large AWS instance) is sitting behind a public IP. Same situation. I can't access it either through VPN or over the public IP. Error 10061. Can you help? I'm building a rather large PoC which should involve hundreds if not thousands Mikrotik on-premise devices connected to AWS through VPN. One of the key requirements is Dude and I can't even open it.
I have also wrote to Mikrotik support, but last time I was waiting for an answer for two weeks, so I thought to post here as well, as somebody might have a clue.
Thanks.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Dude 10061 Error - No connection could be made since target machine actively refuse it.

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:02 pm

I would not recommend making a huge installation with "One of the key requirements is Dude". It is basically out of support.
Also, making such an installation requires network insight and experience, that would allow you to debug such problems on your own.
Having to ask such basic questions on a forum or to the support department is not going to work for you in the long run.

Also, when you ask others to debug your configuration, you have to include the export file.

Fi011
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Dude 10061 Error - No connection could be made since target machine actively refuse it.

Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:29 pm

Thanks for such a helpful answer mate.
As I said, it's in PoC concept phase and monitoring is needed, and I did use Dude on large scale in my ISP so I thought it would be helpful here as well.
Maybe instead of trying to be smart you can add something useful to the conversation. :)
Thanks in advance.
I did install Dude a number of times before on different platforms, and I never had issues like this before.
I thought the point of forum is to exchange similar problems, as it might be a bug and somebody perhaps did encounter it.
But thanks for such a helpful observations,. much appreciated. :)

Fi011
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:33 pm

There basically is no configuration, it's just a blank CHR router where Dude should work out of the box.

Anyway, the entire config:

/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether1 ] disable-running-check=no
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/user group
set full policy="local,telnet,ssh,ftp,reboot,read,write,policy,test,winbox,passw\
ord,web,sniff,sensitive,api,romon,dude,tikapp"
/dude
set enabled=yes
/ip dhcp-client
add !dhcp-options disabled=no interface=ether1
/ip firewall filter
add action=accept chain=input src-address=3.226.137.22

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:30 pm

I only want to warn you that Dude is basically a dead-end. It gets little or no development anymore. You might want to know that before you sell it to a customer who may come back at you when a new RouterOS version appears that no longer runs or supports Dude.

Of course you know you can use the sniffer tool and the torch feature to see what packets get sent out at one end and what gets received at the other end?
The config does no filtering but maybe AWS does? I have no experience with AWS but I do use another VPS platform and it requires firewall configuration (and has only limited options for that).

Fi011
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Dude 10061 Error - No connection could be made since target machine actively refuse it.  [SOLVED]

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:56 am

You might be right about this. Zabbix or some other open-source monitoring tool certainly comes to mind.
What I always liked abut Dude is it can help you navigate through unknown large network environments much easier as you can understand the topology much easier.
I tested Dude on my Azure CHR, and it worked with no issues. AWS security groups by default block all access from outside to the instances secured by a particular security group. I assumed the default for Dude was HTTPS, and I missed opening port 80 in the NSG.
I admit I was frustrated as I had a lot on my plate, so I posted here hoping that I missed something obvious, which of course happened.

Anyway, for anybody else, for Dude to work with AWS/Azure, you need to install CHR there and in related security group, open ports 443, 80 and 8291 in the inbound direction.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:20 pm

I installed Dude some time ago and experimented a bit and indeed it looks nice at first, but I found it quite difficult to
make it do exactly what I want. Probably should spend a lot more time on it, and as I repeatedly read that it is not really
going forward, I use other monitoring systems instead. Indeed there is Zabbix, Nagios, etc.