Community discussions

MikroTik App

jerwhite
just joined
Topic Author

Ping on V3beta6

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:38 pm

I think I have a fix to the ping problem in V3beta6!!! Go to your probes by going to settings, discover, and then services. Click on the three little dots to edit the services. Go to ping and change type from random to ICMP and change TTL to 128. Hope this helps. I'm on a network that has 100+ computers spanning 6 LANS and this seems to have fixed my problem.

ubb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Ping on V3beta6

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:06 pm

Here's a little feedback. My ping was already of type ICMP, but I changed the TTL to 128 and so far it seems to be working. Yaaaay!!! Its been going for about three hours now. I'll keep watching it. Thanks jerwhite!

ubb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:36 pm

Well, I must have spoken too soon. As soon as I posted my previous reply, I noticed that my pings stopped again. Can anyone from Mikrotik offer any advice here? I'm at my wits end with this problem. Could it be that XP has run out of connections (I seem to remember something about that a while ago). Could it be a setting within the Dude? Could it be a bug in the beta6 code itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jerwhite
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:32 pm

When it stops responding, what exactly happens? Does The Dude stop responding to all connections, some connections, random in and out connections? Mine seems to work fine however I had to set each location up and then I created submaps for each of these locations discovering them from their agents. I noticed if I named the main site instead of leaving it the default I would drop connections depending on which agent I chose. Does this make sense? Does it help? Please respond so I know if this was helpful or not.

ubb
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:40 am

When it stops, it stops monitoring everything network-wide. I have about 30-40 submaps some of which are on the main server and other are on two agents. At first, I thought that it stopped pinging, but now, I'm not so sure, it may just not be graphing it. I'll have to go back with ethereal or something. Right now, I'm running on beta3 since that seems to be the most stable for me and I need to have something up and running. I'll try beta6 again next week (that is unless we have a beta7 before that :-) )

jerwhite
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:22 pm

After your first reply I went back and looked and noticed I was still having packet loss although there were less of them after switching from random to ICMP at 128 TTL. I then changed the retry interval to 2000 ms and this seemed to work even better. It has been running now for about 23 hrs without any issue except normal responses. Although I do notice when a computer goes down I down get a response in my email saying so, I get an email when it comes back up. I'd like to know when it actually went down as well.

noakley

Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:45 pm

Sadly I don't think this is anything to do with timeouts, I would like to be proved wrong however. My system can go very occasionally for 48hrs before failing. Sometimes it goes down 3 times in a day. I have looked with ethereal and it has stopped completely no pings no snmp probes. I cannot find any pattern to this. I would like to hear something (anything) on this subject from Mikrotik but since I reported the problem just after V3Beta6 was released there has been no response whatsoever.

jerwhite
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:47 pm

My dude server has been running now for 7 days without any ping issue since changing it to 2000 ms. Don't know what to tell you but mine is working without hiccup now.

noakley

Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:19 pm

tried changing it to 2000ms and it has just gone down again sadly

jerwhite
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:15 am

This is running on a server 2000 computer if this helps you any. The connections issue wouldn't be a problem on this machine as it allows unlimited. However there are two servers running this on an XP box without issues. These computers have less then 10 connections per site.