Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

haggis
just joined
Topic Author

Dude.exe memory leak

Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:07 am

I have installed dude 2.2 on my Win2K3 server. I find this program immensly useful and fun to use. I have layed out our entire network of about 140 devices in total. It works very well but i have noticed that i have a memory leak. While dude is running there are always 2 dude.exe processes in the task manager and one of them grows to hundreds of Meg over a few days and needs to be killed.

i then tried to run dude as a service and access it from a remote client. THis also works well, i now have only 1 dude.exe process but it is still growing. what is the command to stop and start dude server service? and how can i stop this memory leak?

winkelman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Dude.exe memory leak

Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:38 pm

You are right about the memory leak, it grows with about 50Mb per day here.

You can simply restart the Dude service by login onto the Windows server with admin rights, going to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Then right-click the service called 'The Dude' and choose 'Restart'. This just takes a second or two and you won't even notice it in the data the The Dude gathers.

I do this twice a week. Annoying, but worth it 8)

haggis
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:04 am

Yeah, i am kind of resigned to doing that, but is there a command that can be schedules to do it. I tried a few but no joy. It would be easier to seta scheduled task to do it once a day.

winkelman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:07 pm

This can be accomplished using:
net stop <service name>
net start <service name>
The command 'net start' will list all services, and thus you'll find the name of The Dude service to be "The Dude Server".

So a batch file with:
net stop "The Dude Server"
net start "The Dude Server"
would restart the service for you 8).

haggis
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:07 am

Excellent mate, thanks. Works a treat :)

Minollie
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:52 pm

Hi guys,

In The Dude v3.0beta6 the memory leak is also present.
I've got a distinct feeling that it's here usually under particular circumstance that the leak appears.
The last time the leak occured here, it appeared about one hour after I closed the Webinterface from The Dude, where the last action within the webinterface was viewing some charts.
Anyway, it's not appearing on a regular or predictable basis.

I'm still hopefull that Mikrotik will be able to fix this pretty annoying little bug..

Regards,
Minollie

winkelman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:36 pm

There must be more (and/or other) leaks. We experience a continues leak and we do not use the web interface at all, ever. (Dude 2.2.)

Since a few weeks I've implemented a script that restarts the Dude service every night. This takes care of the problem of ever increasing memory footprint, but is of course not very elegant.

airstream
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:30 am

There must be more (and/or other) leaks. We experience a continues leak and we do not use the web interface at all, ever. (Dude 2.2.)

Since a few weeks I've implemented a script that restarts the Dude service every night. This takes care of the problem of ever increasing memory footprint, but is of course not very elegant.
I Agree, this needs to be addressed at the application layer, starting and stopping services via scripts can get messy, especially if you are already dealing with other programs that mis-behave and need the same attention as the dude.

All in all its a great program with exceptional reporting features for ROS boxes. But yes this really needs to be fixed, as it stands we only have "Workaround" methods to prevent the dude getting unruly on our 2K3 boxes.

rgraham
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:06 am

I also run The Dude on Windows 2003. I use the scheduler to stop the service and then one minute later I start it back up but this should be fixed.