Community discussions

MikroTik App

andreiroos
just joined
Topic Author

Dude Images being deleted randomly

Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:19 pm

Well, This have been going on for years now, I know that this topic have been posted previously, but that is since 2018, now I wonder if the admins actually read that topic anymore, so here I start it again. I have previously also complained about the exact same issue. Copy icons under dude/images folder, it display on dude and randomly just disappear. Sometimes a few days, and sometimes after a month or more. When you right click icon and choose appearance, go to image tab, then it will just be on none. search for the icon on the drop-down box, its gone. Search for the file on the images folder, file just gone. And it is not even the same images, just randomly any one. Re copy the file back to the folder, then set icon again, it will work again for a day, week, month or so. I have tried different file formats, resize the icons, rename to short filename, you name it, the problem just keep on creeping back. This has been going since V6, up to today (July 2020). Looks as if dude, ROSv6 and ROSv7 have the same issues with development. Lots of features requested, that is mostly present with contending devices, and still lacking today, years and years of development resulting in only baby steps for a product that is widely used around the world.

I have also tried different products with the dude, x86, RB1100x4 Dude edition, RB-M33, CCR1036 router, all with the exact same issue as above. Including adding FTP. Nothing changes for me.

CoyoGross
just joined

Re: Dude Images being deleted randomly

Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:44 pm

Hi Andreiroos

Have you found a solution for this issue?

I have been working with Dude last week, and today half of my icons image disappeared. Running Dude on x86, have you contacted Mikrotik support regarding this issue?

Thanks

nje431
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:21 am

It happens to me too, every several months or so. Usually not days or weeks though. I keep a copy of my one image I use in the root directory, then I can copy it back into the files directory when needed. I see the one in the root has been there since Dec 2017, so it seems to be stable there. Running the Dude 6.45.7 on an x86.

CoyoGross
just joined

Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:26 am

Thanks for answering nje431

Have got the opportunity to contact Mikrotik support regarding this issue?

Is there any way to replicate the issue?
The only thing I had done before icons got deleted was to copy objects between maps but not sure if its related.

Do you set up icon images at a "type" object level? how do you assign icons to your objects?

Thanks, Coyo

nje431
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:46 am

Never contacted support. It's never been a big issue for me.

The only image I use is a screenshot from Open Street Maps that I use as a background for my main map. Then I place submaps of our remote locations on top of the main map in the proper positions.

I learned a long time ago to never copy devices. When I first started using the Dude, copying would create all kinds of mischief that I couldn't fix, and had to start over, so I have never done it since. Well, except for static items, that seems to be safe.

andreiroos
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:00 am

Haven`t contacted Mikrotik also.

Is it not why forums exist? Or maybe they don`t read on their forums. With me the icons are totally random. I use the dude on 2 different locations, same issues, but randomly show up. I don`t copy items, sometimes the dude maps stay the same for months without so much as even moving an item, and it still happens. I assume that when a client connect to the dude and gets disconnected midway or after a restart of the dude server that the problem pop up, but its difficult to say with certainty.

I have to check if my Mikrotik account is still active, maybe I can request from there also.

CoyoGross
just joined

Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:17 am

nje431, andreiroos

Thanks for the information, this happened to my only once, I could not find reasonable explanation besides copying objects. I will take a supout.rif if it happens again and send it to Mikrotik support, I will post any update here if got lucky.

I found Dude a great tool for monitoring and managing my networks, but sometimesI doubt if Dude is alive or not.

Glad that you are there for help, thanks again.

Coyo.

andreiroos
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:49 am

Response from Mikrotik:

Hello,
Sorry for late answer.
Thank you very much for this report. We are aware of this problem and will take a look when we will get back to an active Dude development, currently it's delayed because of other priorities.
Best regards,
Elans Lācis

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:07 pm

... And this answer I am getting about dude questions from mikrotik always. For many, many years.

CoyoGross
just joined

Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:40 am

Thanks andreiroos, thanks jarda
Good to know Mikrotik has at least an official stand regarding Dude.
I’m actively using Dude to perform monitoring and SNMP graphing of links, and just works.
I will try to share more about my experience using The Dude
Thanks for your help
Coyo

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:16 am

... And this answer I am getting about dude questions from mikrotik always. For many, many years.
Yes. It's a shame. Despite its faults dude is still a great tool. All these fancy web interface based monitoring tools are *uncomfortable* to handle.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:20 pm

True. I have been using it since some 5.x version. In chr instance for last five years or so. It quite works and is not loosing the custom added pictures at all.