Community discussions

MikroTik App

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Practical VPN speed SSTP vs L2TP/IPSec

Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:17 pm

I am just implementing a VPN for some 20-30 users to work from home. I decided for SSTP as it is standard in Windows and very secure. L2TP/IPsec with PSK is also great, but can have some issues and is often blocked by mobile providers, etc.

I am wondering is there a practical speed difference between the two? We have a 50 MBit/s sync link and RB3011.

Thanks

excession
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Practical VPN speed SSTP vs L2TP/IPSec  [SOLVED]

Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:40 pm

We have both SSTP and L2TP/IPSEC setup on an RB3011.
We see about 25mbps on SSTP and 40mbps on L2TP/IPSEC (an individual user testing one at a time), underlying connection is capable of 200mbps.

We also deploy Soft-Ether quite often for our clients where they have either VMs or Windows servers available on their LAN; which works extremely well on Windows and our clients often prefer it's client application to the native Windows one. The Soft-Ether client throughput is generally only limited by the capabilities of the machine hosting it and it's possible to get it to work in places where nothing else will.

FYI, this probably ins't really a Dude topic. :)

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Practical VPN speed SSTP vs L2TP/IPSec

Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:22 pm

Thank you. I thought SSTP will be slower, but not that much. With several users online that will feel quite slow. Heh. I should probably implement L2TP/IPSec too. :-)

The only thing about SSTP is that it works really well and everywhere.

Haven't heard before about Soft-Ether. Will take alook into it.

(I really don't get it how this ended in the Dude section. Might have clicked wrong. :o) Maybe Mod can move it?)