Community discussions

MikroTik App

jinu
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik Dude Server History Disk Space issue

Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:35 pm

Hi Folks
I am setting up a Mikrotik based network and as part of that i am setting a Mikrotik Dude Server for monitoring. I have currently installed the Dude Server on the Mikrotik CRS328 running RouterOS.

But now I am realizing two things
1. Dude server has a database that stores historical values of the various probes
2. Mikrotik CRS 328 has 16MB of disk storage.

The problem with this is that Dude server and files have already taken up 12MB of the space and i fear it will run out of space soon. There are 2 main files that are eating up space. One is the DB called dude.db and the other is a temp file called dude.db-wal. The second file takes up about 4MB and the database dude.db is already reached 1.6MB. Both these files size is gradually increasing.

So i have only 4 options

1. Somehow add additional disk space to Mikrotik CRS328 device
2. Store the Dude database on a remote server and have dude point to that
3. Remove Dude server from the Mikrotik CRS328 and load it onto a standalone device like RaspPie 4
4. Limit the amount of history being stored in the database (for eg: store data only for the past week

I am assuming option 1 and 2 are not possible, That leaves option 3 & 4 . I am not keen on option 3 as that means introducing one more device or VM into an already strained setup.

So question is whether I can do something to implement option 4. Is there any setting to ensure that data older than a week is purged ? Any other suggestions how to manage this

jinu
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Mikrotik Dude Server History Disk Space issue

Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:58 am

Any advice folks on how Dude can be used ?

eddieb

Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:11 am

I run dude on a dedicated RB 750G r3 with an 64GiB SDcard mounted on /dude.
all dude data is stored on that SDcard

jinu
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:53 am

Thanks for your response but the CRS328 does not have any expandable storage option or a USB port. So i cannot add any storage.

jinu
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:24 pm

Another issue i just found out the hard way is that the entire dude configuration and database is lost if i restart the Switch. Is this how it is supposed to be ?

eddieb

Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:47 pm

Of course not, but you probably stored the config and database on a part of the memory that is not intended for this use and is wiped during reboot ...

If the device does not have enough storage you should use external storage for dude, it can use al lot of storage ...
If there is no SD, you might want to try an USB-memory stick,
if that is not possible either than the divice might not be a good choice to run dude

jinu
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:43 pm

Of course not, but you probably stored the config and database on a part of the memory that is not intended for this use and is wiped during reboot ...

If the device does not have enough storage you should use external storage for dude, it can use al lot of storage ...
If there is no SD, you might want to try an USB-memory stick,
if that is not possible either than the divice might not be a good choice to run dude
I installed dude using the default options. How can i store it in the safe part of memory that will survive a reboot?

I have no option to to expand storage as i have a CRS328 switch with does not have USB or SD option. I thought i would give CHR a try, but then that does not work with UEFI and the latest beta version that works with UEFI (7.1beta5) does not have Dude server released as yet.

What is the recommended host to run Dude server ?

eddieb

Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:56 am

I had dude running on CHR until 2 years ago, It worked ...
I switched to a dedicated RB 750G r3 with an 64GiB SDcard mounted on /dude.
Less problems with upgrading and no issues with unstable host systems ...