Community discussions

MikroTik App

ilero
Topic Author

Dude as a RouterOS Package

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:37 am

For over a year, there has been mention of the Dude as a RouterOS package. Is is available yet? If so, which version?

I am asking because I have a number of remote locations that I prefer not to install a Windows machine.

Thanks

ilero
Topic Author

Re: Dude as a RouterOS Package

Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:01 pm

OK... So I discovered that RouterOS v3.0rc2 contains the Dude as a package. This is great!!!

I then tried to access it by going to xx.xx.xx.xx/dude in my web browser. It brought up the Dude login page, but no matter what username/password I use, it just stalls and goes nowhere. Any ideas? Is is a bug?

Thanks...

Nick Kett
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:39 pm

:D I just loaded the dude package in ROS 3.0rc2 (seperate package)... can´t get acces via the web interface like you say, but if you load a dude client on your pc, Dude 3.0rc6 then it will connect and run!

Now I´m wondering what resources I need to run dude (It´s testing on a 153 board) but what about memory, flash, hard drives etc...I just checked the size of my data folder on my live dude server (over 300 routers monitored) and it´s a total size of 30Mb... so maybe that´s a clue.

robre77
just joined

Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:47 pm

Putting The Dude on a RouterOS machine is a great improvement for me, as it reduces dramatically the number of machines i use to monitor the whole network infrastructure.

I have a few questions for you @ mikrotik:

1. Is there official documentation for dude & routerOS togheter on tha same board?

2. Can I use the dude's Log Server as a regular Syslog server to log all mikrotik messages and logs from other servers in its network?

3. i know i can cascade multiple dudes to monitor unreacheable services from my networks. it would be nice if i could remotely administrate these remote servers, maybe via the other dude server. (e.g. the two dude servers establish an encrypted tunnel with the correct nat feature to reach the remote appliance). i know this is REALLY hard, but it would be a next step in remote administration.

Thanks for all, your routerOS is great!

Roberto

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:02 pm

I don't suggest to run the dude package on the RB100 series since it doesn't have lot of free RAM. You better put it on x86 router.
You can connect to the RouterOS dude server by using the dude client from the download page - Use the router IP address to connect and then you can start using it.
About the web interface, looks like there is a bug in this version, we will try to fix it, and hopefully this fix will be in the next release of RouterOS.

ilero
Topic Author

Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:18 am

Follow-up question...

Since the RouterOS is acting as the Dude Host, what happens when the RouterBoard looses power? Does it loose all of the history?

Gerard
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:30 pm

It believe it works the same way it does on windows.. It saves the data to the disk/flash at set intervals..

-Gerard