Community discussions

MikroTik App

rarbolay
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Dude notifications

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:34 am

How do I set the dude to notify me of outages to my cell phone. BTW if your respond RTFM please include a link to the FM page. :?

winkelman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Dude notifications

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:20 am

How do I set the dude to notify me of outages to my cell phone. BTW if your respond RTFM please include a link to the FM page. :?
First find out how to send messages to your cellphone:
- find out how to get email's delivered to you phone as SMS/text message. Most phone operators have some sort of email gateway and you can send emails to an address like <yourcellphonenumber>@provider.com which will then be delivered to your phone. You may have to enalbe this service. Contact your cellphone provider.
- use a phone that can receive emails directly (instead of SMS/text messages)

Then setup an email notification in The Dude and that's all there's to it.

CanadianWeasel
just joined

Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:28 pm

Though my particular issue is not directly related to the question at hand, it does have to do with notifications.

Is there anyway to have specific service's notifcation superscede that of another one?

For example. If a server goes down, obviously it's going to trigger a notification based on the ping status for that server. It stands to reason that if it's not responding to a rather basic service such as that, that other services such as smtp, http, etc are also going to be found to be unavailable. So, I'd like to have it not notify based on smtp, http or whatever if the ping has already been triggered, thus saving 6 or 7 emails to tell me that the server is now unavailble.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

rarbolay
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:54 pm

Thanks for the help. I ended up setting an SMTP server in my Dude server computer and then aiming the notifications thru that server to my cellphone (xxxxxxxxxx@text.att.net)

My question now is to delays. I applied a 15 minute delay to notifications. My clients currently auto reboot at 10 minutes if they cant ping 4.2.2.1 so I figured 15 minutes would tell me the auto reboot didnt help. Here is the problem. I intend the 15 minute delay to mean "If after 15 minutes the service is still down notify me", what it really does is to wait 15 minutes after the service went down and then notify me REGARDLESS of the service status at the time of notification. Makes the delay kind of useless.

winkelman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:25 pm

Is there anyway to have specific service's notifcation superscede that of another one?
AFAIK this is not possible (at the moment). Perhaps because it is difficult to implement.

Even though, say, HTTP service goes down at the same time as ping, to The Dude this may not be the case. The Dude does not probe everything simultaneously. So it might not be apparent to The Dude that everything went down at the same time. So then you'd have to introduce some kind of time frame in which The Dude may assume everything went down at the same time, even though this is not what is probed. This delay in itself may cause problems, because you may not be informed as soon as possible. Etc.

One could perhaps argue: too little gained for too much development effort...

And still: it's possible that while ping is down on a server, other services aren't...

rwf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:59 pm

Is it possible to add the feature of specifying a mail server by dns name rather than only IP address?
Out mail servers are in a pool and I want to make sure I get the active one.

Also- I don't want to run a local smtp on my the Dude PC. All the available ones seem to be crippled or require payment and this is silly when I already have a fully functional Email server (or 3)

jordantrx
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:35 pm

Is it possible to add the feature of specifying a mail server by dns name rather than only IP address?
Out mail servers are in a pool and I want to make sure I get the active one.

Also- I don't want to run a local smtp on my the Dude PC. All the available ones seem to be crippled or require payment and this is silly when I already have a fully functional Email server (or 3)
At one point in time i was able to get the dude to send me an e-mail notification without setting up an server, it just had a dude@yourdomian.com as an e-mail address, Funny this is for some reason it dosent do it anymore.... Really made me sad.. that was cool. but i will have to work on it more see if i can get it back. Any help from anybody who mite know how to re-enable that option would be helpful, Thanks you -Jordan

900mhzdude
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:41 pm

I have the dude sending me Texts via SMTP to my cell phone
Problem is the texts the dude sends me are all from different
Phone numbers so they Don't group in my iPhone
due it it coming from random numbers

is there anything I can do about this? thanks

vmoore
just joined

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:10 am

Going back to the Delay question. Would anyone be able to recommend a way to send notifications after a certain time. I monitor Access Points, and Switches and customer equipment that is powered by our provided solar battery equipment.
The solar battery equipment will go out during the night on occasion. I would like to setup a notification rule that would notify me after 50 polls or 1440 seconds that a device is still not reachable, without changing my Probe Down Count setting since I monitor other devices and need to know immediately if they are down or not. Thanks for your time. I am guessing the delay setting is to define a certain time before re-notifying if something is down? In Cacti you can specify the amount of Polls or time to notify per device. I was thinking there was a way for the Dude to handle that as well?