Community discussions

MikroTik App

huri
just joined
Topic Author

GSM Modem SMS Alert

Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:10 am

Is possible to use Dude for sms notiffication trought gms modem via RS-232(COM1) Port.
Thanks in advance.
(I use search, but didn't find anything... :( )

talon63
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: GSM Modem SMS Alert

Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:55 pm

It should be possible with the addition of some third party software.
You might also change serial port configuration to text mode, so you can send text or ascii character to GSM Modem. To send message, send the AT command AT+CMGS to GSM modem.
These links may provide some alternatives as well:

http://www.brothersoft.com/smslibx-29375.html
http://www.brothersoft.com/sms-create-pro-38595.html
http://www.nubitek.com/section02/pr01-sms_mgr.htm

huri
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:22 pm

i fix the problem with Kiwi Syslog Daemon and ActiveXperts programs

The Dude Send to Kiwi Syslog Daemon the Nottification,
After this the Kiwi Exec one URL trought Firefox and send the sms :)
If some one want to help - i am here...

Full
just joined

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:25 pm

I need to get SMS when some of my Mikrotiks down. Is there any chanse to connect directly to Dude machine GSM modem. And which program I need to have to work it. I still did not buy any GSM modem but I plan to do that.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:29 pm

why can't the Dude exect the same URL? No problem, just make a new Notification to call Firefox with the URL as parameter

Full
just joined

Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:45 pm

why can't the Dude exect the same URL? No problem, just make a new Notification to call Firefox with the URL as parameter
I can try but can you write to me what is address of this URL.
Thanks advance

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:49 pm

the URL depends on the GSM provider. Ask them, if there is a way to send sms by executing a specific URL

Full
just joined

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:48 pm

the URL depends on the GSM provider. Ask them, if there is a way to send sms by executing a specific URL
Did not make it in Dude. Did not find the place for URL. I check with my GSM provider ande sattle all.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:52 pm

well, duh. just make a new notification type with the following EXAMPLE arguments (that domain doesn't exist, ask your GSM provided what URL you must use)
2009-06-02_1450.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Full
just joined

Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:04 pm

well, duh. just make a new notification type with the following EXAMPLE arguments (that domain doesn't exist, ask your GSM provided what URL you must use)
2009-06-02_1450.png
Thanks

dingsingo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:48 am

Hi,

itsn't the easy way that Dude send the notification directly over the Com-Port to the GSM-Modem ??

Thx

dingsingo

Full
just joined

Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi,

itsn't the easy way that Dude send the notification directly over the Com-Port to the GSM-Modem ??

Thx

dingsingo
Maybe not easyest but it looks like it cheaper. My GSM provider have a one price for SMS from the URL and second price much cheaper from mobile phone. When I ask "why" they did not know to explain me. So for me its cheaper to buy GSM modem ore, buy phone with com port cable. But still think that the GSM modem is better because I want to insert this system in my network and if I need to do simple comands like reboot I can send SMS with some text and that Mikrotik reboot. In that reason I think that GSM modem is better. But if somebody want to get SMS only when some router ore server is "down" there is some sites for free SMS. You only get some short adwertisements with each SMS which you receive (when something down). I can tolerate this baecause ... it is free. I try with www.wadja.com but did not finish. It will be very intresting if somebody try this.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:20 pm

There was some other conversation about this somewhere, I think you can get a program that can send com-port gsm and call it as an external from the dude...

Full
just joined

Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:07 am

There was some other conversation about this somewhere, I think you can get a program that can send com-port gsm and call it as an external from the dude...
Very interesting can you give me a link of that?

dingsingo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:09 am

Hello,

i think the easy Way is. The Dude on an RB an on the Com-Port connect an GSM Modem. The Dude kann send the trap directly to the GSM Interface.

dingsingo

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Maybe one of the command line sms tools on this page could help? http://www.developershome.com/sms/freeLibForSMS.asp

search sms in the dude... http://forum.mikrotik.com/search.php?ke ... mit=Search

HTH

Morphology
just joined

Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:41 pm

I have the Dude sending me SMS alerts via a conventional dial-up modem (US Robotics USB modem). I did two things:

1: Write a simple VB app which takes the alert command line and saves it as a text file
2: Write a separate app that looks for these text files and sends them as an SMS message.

I did it this way to decouple the sending of SMS messages (which can be slow) from the generation of alerts (which can be very quick). Both my programs are very simple and written in VB6.

The SMS sender program uses a freeware VB Class Object called cTapProtocol, written by Mike Ball (Google it, you'll find it), which handles the connection and login for the TAP.

I am in the UK, and am using Vodafone UK's TAP number: 07785499993

I already have the Dude sending email alerts, which I can pick up on my smart phone, so I wanted a way of sending messages to cope with the situation where either our email server, or internet connection are down. Works a treat.

Morph.