Community discussions

MikroTik App

Mike_in_WI
just joined
Topic Author

"segments" on The Dude network map?

Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:31 pm

Hello. I am a new sysadmin for a 100-node network and have been using The Dude to map and inventory the infrastructure here. Of course the former admin who set this all up is long gone. We have a rather basic topology - two HP switches with 80 endusers and 15-20 servers and network devices.

When I let The Dude discover the network, it finds 18 'segments' under the Networks page. All are labeled '192.168.1.0/24'. 1 segment has the vast majority of machines connect to it and from there to the main switch. The other 17 segments have only 1 computer attached and connect directly one of the two switches.

Most of the segments with 1 computer only are servers, computers in the sysadmin office, or attached to the second switch. I doubt this is by accident. I've poked around in the switch CLI but found nothing to indicate any segmenting.

I'd like to move the last two servers from that giant crowded segment to their own segment. I tried moving one of the single-PC segment computers to a different port, but it still shows up with its own segment in The Dude.

What exactly are 'segments' in The Dude terminology? I know all the computers are on the 192.168.1.x subnet, which cannot be efficient. Can I somehow get the servers on their own cloud? Will this even help given our current IP setup/collision domains? Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike in Wisconsin
A+, Net+, MCP, etc...

smile__2006

Re: "segments" on The Dude network map?

Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:43 pm

segments == ports, which you can monitoring via RMON, for example....
check the link and interfaces on these links....
sorry bad english)

beerfiend

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:15 pm

Possible Vlan without an ip address is causing the multiple segmenting? i've noticed in my time using the dude that it's not that good at organizing things in a complex environment (i.e. five routers, 15 external addresses, 22 switches, 8 vlans) in most cases i've just redrawn it to fit the actual topology. of course this might not be the case depending on your topology. best bet is always to draw a map.

hey were you at in WI? we're in LAX.

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:01 pm

You probably could just turn off discovery, and set everything up by hand.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:13 pm

An ok way to get devices is to discover one network on a new map then just delete the network and remove it from settings. New devices are probably easier to add manually after you get your maps looking good.

For me I keep getting new segments and duplicate segments for my loopback network. We put all the routers loopback address as 192.168.253.x/32. If I let it keep discovering 192.168.253.0/24 it adds another copy of the network for some device like 192.168.253.101/32 every time it runs. The auto discover feature has a few issues...