Community discussions

MikroTik App

beerfiend
Topic Author

Anyone know how to monitor bandwidth (%) on a cisco router?

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:25 pm

Anyone figured out a way to monitor bandwidth on devices that are not microtik. i've got a bunch of cisco routers and i'd like to monitor our T1 bandwidth but can't seem to figure out a way of doing it. it's probalby glaringly obviouse and i'm just over looking it.

johnRBB
just joined

Re: Anyone know how to monitor bandwidth (%) on a cisco router?

Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:07 pm

you need to set up SNMP on the Cisco router... here's an example:

snmp-server community SOMESPECIALSECRETPASSWORD RO 80
access-list 80 permit 10.10.10.10

Having the snmp-server reference access-list 80 will permit only those hosts permitted in access-list 80 to perform SNMP queries. Access-list 80 should list the IP address of your Dude server (and any other devices that will be polling it)

Once SNMP is set up on the Cisco, you'll need to set it up in The Dude.

Settings->SNMP->Add a new profile with SOMESPECIALSECRETPASSWORD as the community.
Now go to the Cisco's device settings in The Dude, select the correct SNMP profile. Within a few minutes, you should be able to go to the SNMP section of the device settings and see your interfaces and such...

At this point, you can use SNMP to monitor bandwidth.

Double-click a link coming off a Cisco. Set the device to your Cisco's name, set Mastering Type to SNMP, then select the appropriate interface!

mic1024
just joined

Re: Anyone know how to monitor bandwidth (%) on a cisco rout

Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Hi,
Sorry for reopening an old post, but I have a relevant question.

Is there a way to trigger alarm on an event when utilization is exceeded on a given interface (in The Dude).

For example:

I have a 100Mbit/s link between 2 switches and I want an alarm when the throughput exceeds 75% (so I can get ready for an upgrade).

I know how to get a LINK to alert in Red for this scenario (tick speed, put in 75Mbit - / Choose iface type FastEth) - Link will become red once the 75Mbit is exceeded, and will fade slowly back to black if below 75Mbit. However how to record that alert somewhere, so I know this actually taken place when I go through my daily network health checks.

From what I can see in NOTIFICATIONS you can only already on status change up/down type of events.

Thanks.
mic

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Anyone know how to monitor bandwidth (%) on a cisco rout

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:51 pm

Gsandul had an example of this but to give a notification when there was 0 utilization.
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... nk#p218181
Try that out and see if you can determine how to make your probe from that, if not let us know, someone will help out.

HTH,
Lebowski