Community discussions

MikroTik App

tete
Topic Author

Syslog Sorting

Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:53 am

Good Morning all,

I have installed The Dude 3rc8 and I have a little suggestion.

When you open any log, it always sort the list from oldest to newest log item. Even when you change the order when you go to other view and return to syslog, for example, the sort order has changed.

So if this is a bug, could be reapired for the next rc? or could be the sort order maintenace implemented?

Greetings
Tete

sytex
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Syslog Sorting

Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:55 pm

+1 vote: in the next version it would be great if the dude remember the last sort setting

iam8up

Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:58 am

+1 vote

cybernet

Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:08 am

+ 1 vote

sioannou
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:06 pm

+1 vote

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:01 pm

+1

sady
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:32 pm

sort and filtering options on any table remembering will be great!!!

johnRBB
just joined

Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:21 pm

You can get around this problem by using panels. The panels are a little buggy, but you can create custom views mixing charts, maps, logs... anything! You can lock the Panel so that you cannot inadvertently change anything (which is easy to do).

Double click Panels, then add a new panel... we'll call it "LogViewer". Then, right-click on LogViewer and select Settings.

[There's a bug where sometimes if you create a new panel, it will not have the title bars, so you cannot actually associate any logs, maps, etc. with the panel; no choice it seems but to delete the panel and try again. I usually just copy an existing panel to avoid this bug, cuz it's really irritating.]

The trick to making panels work is double click panels, right-click on your panel in question, select settings. UNLOCK, click apply. Make changes, click apply. LOCK, click apply. If you do not follow this procedure, you'll probably never get them working right!. Click apply ALOT!! LOCK the panels when you're done messing with them, or they'll get messed up (due to some bugs, I think).

When the Title Bars are turned on, you can "slice" the window horizontally & vertically into small, well... panels! In each "slice", you can insert a map, chart, log, etc.. even another panel (yikes... you can even add the panel you're working on, which is like looking from one mirror into another).

Now put your Log file (event log, syslog, whatever...) into one of those window slices. Select the fields you want (I get rid of the Flags field). Select the sort-order that you want. Now click Apply, then *lock* the panel!

At that point, you'll go to the LogViewer panel to look over your syslogs rather than going to the log itself.

----

To take this a step further, I create a bunch of syslog rules that separate syslog messages into various groupings... ie. by device, device types, devices that are in a geographic area, log message types (such as ospf, wireless, bgp, etc..). To do this you have to create a log file under logs, then create a notification with the type: log, and the Target log set to the logfile you created.

Then, you create syslog rules to sort things as appropriate... I'll do a log of passthrus so the same log message may go into several different log files. If I get an OSPF message from one of my Ciscos, it goes into a "Cisco Routers" logfile, then passes through and goes into an "OSPF" logfile, then passes through and goes into a logfile for all the devices at that location, then passes through and goes into a "catch-all" logfile, the master syslog.

Then you can create panel views that focus on different data-sets for a piece of equipment or a grouping of equipment. One page can display the logs for those devices, a network map showing how they're connected together, and some performance charts like bandwidth utilization and ping response times.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sioannou
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:54 am

fair enough. What about when the dude kills all the rules and syslogs you create. It happened to me quide a few times so I ended up. Putting everything in the same file and use excel with filters to get what I need.

I'll give a go to the panels idea.

Thanks
Sotiris

johnRBB
just joined

Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:54 am

I (knock on wood) have not experienced a problem with syslog rules getting killed... I've had some problem with Charts losing their rules and not being able to add them back in.... still working on that problem.

There's a could quirks about the panels I don't like... for instance, you cannot click through to sub-maps like you can when a Network Map is selected. Sometimes the panels don't create correctly, and all I can do is delete them and try again. I had major problems with them until I figured out the really anal procedure with locking and unlocking them...

But by locking the panels, you can define the sort order, you can choose which tab is selected (for multi-tab objects), keep the chart legend & position, and put together objects that really go together (a submap, utilization, pings, etc. from those devices). By carefully sorting the syslog messages, I am able to show only the logs pertaining to the devices on the sub-map I'm showing (in the order I choose... newest logs first).

With a multi-screen display, you can open a different panel on each screen, really creating a NOC "command console". --->>> I can make other people to look at exactly what I want them to see!!