MikroTik App

CGirardy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Problems with devices on a DHCP network

Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi,
My network is using DHCP for the computers and laptops.
I have several devices in TheDude that indicates several DNS names because their address has changed and is taken by another device (mostly for my laptops).
I'm not able to refresh this and delete the old name that was attached to the IP address unless I delete the device in TheDude and add it again.
Is there a way to refresh all DNS name mapping without deleting the object in order to get the latest device assigned to the IP address ?

Additional information : My DNS lookup is set to address to name
Thanks
PLEASE... Release source code to the community and start developing The Dude again....
PLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (big cry for help :))

cenoxo
just joined

Re: Problems with devices on a DHCP network

Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:08 pm

Dude 2.2 newbie having the same problem.

Most of our computers are laptops that receive IP addresses via DHCP. When they get a new IP, Dude rediscovers and recreates them as a new (green) device on my LAN map, but I must manually remove the old (red) device with same computer name and old IP address. I thought any existing device on the map would simply be updated with its new DHCP IP address.

Frequently, a released IP address is reassigned by DHCP to another computer, and I end up with identical IPs for more than one computer on my map.

Another complication is that many of our laptop users have a hardwired CAT5 connection (via their LAN adapter), but they also use a wireless connection (via their wireless adapter) when roaming the office. Consequently they may end up with two legitimate IP addresses via DHCP.

Is there any way within the Dude to see the network adapter's MAC address used for each discovered IP address? Other utilities like Angry IP Scanner will display a computer's MAC address.

cenoxo
just joined

Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:52 am

MAC Addresses and MAC Lookup capabilities are not in v2.2, they're only in Dude v3.0beta8 -- just double-click any device and select its General tab to see these fields.

To prevent duplicate DHCP devices from being discovered, make sure a device's General tab > DNS Lookup option is set to "name to address" and the MAC Lookup option is set to "ip to mac". These were the default settings for discovered devices after I installed v3.0beta8 over v2.2.

More details in the following Dude forum post:

Polling by domain name instead of IP
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... to+address

CGirardy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:45 am

All my devices are configured like this.. but I still have some devices with multiple names :(

Edit : Examples of what I get
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PLEASE... Release source code to the community and start developing The Dude again....
PLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (big cry for help :))

CGirardy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:47 pm

It seems that this problem is finally solved by the ability to automatically scan network by submap (problem solved in RC1)
You're doing a fantastic job
Thanks again

Edit : One is resisting....
TheDude03.jpg
TheDude04.jpg
Where does The Dude store these informations ?

I have cleaned up my WINS server and verified that it was ok in the DNS....The only name left is chsprckl02.... and it still doesn't delete the other names. If I delete them manually, they come back as soon as I click on apply and keep the address to name DNS Lookup.
TheDude05.jpg
I'm using automatic scan for this subnet.
I just want to understand how it keeps these information and where it stores them....
Thanks for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CGirardy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:24 pm

bump

CGirardy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:44 pm

No one can help me with this ?
I don't understand why you cannot help me.
Thanks in advance

CGirardy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:00 pm

I just need to know where it keeps those information for devices..... still no one ?

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:08 am

Export the XML ... Make a backup then you can search the XML directly. Do you know XML?

Once you find the offending information you can remove it and save the xml then re-import your backup. Note all old graphed data will be lost.

I would make sure an import works before you modify any XML. If you want to be really careful back the dude folder up somewhere before you modify it.

After you have done the import you have to restart the dude server which might mean ending task or stopping service...

GL
SD

CGirardy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:26 pm

Export the XML ... Make a backup then you can search the XML directly. Do you know XML?

Once you find the offending information you can remove it and save the xml then re-import your backup. Note all old graphed data will be lost.

I would make sure an import works before you modify any XML. If you want to be really careful back the dude folder up somewhere before you modify it.

After you have done the import you have to restart the dude server which might mean ending task or stopping service...

GL
SD
Finally an answer :) That was all I was looking forward to have.
Thanks for your advise. I'll test it next monday.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:48 am

Yeah I think these boards need some more posting to get The Dude more exposure... The dude is a very interesting network montior to say the least. :)