Community discussions

MikroTik App

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

discovering entire internet !

Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:40 am

How can I get the dude to stop discovering my cable modems /19 network ? Every time I start a discovery it finds the 5-6 different cable modems out in my network and starts a massive discovery out of each one. I don't really need to know about every residential user on the planet : ) I tried blacklisting using the address-lists but those net ranges keep changing. Can I stop the dude from going out a specific gateway other than using firewall rules ?
Colo and Wholesale Bandwidth Available! Sales at SanDiegoBroadband dot com

CGirardy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: discovering entire internet !

Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:10 pm

Hi,
How do you set your scan ?
Do you scan an entire network like 192.0.0.0/8 ?
PLEASE... Release source code to the community and start developing The Dude again....
PLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (big cry for help :))

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:31 pm

I start scan with dude server running on my workstation, 10.1.1.3/24. It discovers the router at 10.1.1.1 and then finds its other IPs and interfaces and starts traversing from there. Am I just not supposed to set recursive hops to more than 0 ? I had entered 3 because I wanted it to go into the network, just not out to the internet.

CGirardy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:18 pm

I start scan with dude server running on my workstation, 10.1.1.3/24. It discovers the router at 10.1.1.1 and then finds its other IPs and interfaces and starts traversing from there. Am I just not supposed to set recursive hops to more than 0 ? I had entered 3 because I wanted it to go into the network, just not out to the internet.
That's probably from where the problem comes...
I have never tried to set recursive hops to more than 0.
I have decided to create 1 map for each subnet I have (even sometime 4 maps for a subnet because my IP plan is set to distinguish routers from servers from workstations. ie : x.x.8.x for servers x.x.10.x for workstations and so on).
I cannot help you more than this... sorry
PLEASE... Release source code to the community and start developing The Dude again....
PLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (big cry for help :))

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:16 am

thats the whole beauty of dude i thought, it will discover the 'network' : ) its just discovering too much of the network. no one else has this problem when using dsl or cable ?

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:19 am

Since you specified /24 it should only discover your network but having 3 hops will cause it to start discovery on other networks and if the 2nd hop is the ISP a /20 or a /16 that might try to get discovered... ACK :) Well just set the hops to 0 and make a submap for every network you want to discover.

jorj

Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:36 pm

Actually, dude is discovering what you requested from him.
To overcome this, let it scan with no next hop, and scan a single network at a time.
Create submaps, for each of the others, one at a time, and link them from a map of public addresses, or from whatever you like, in a tree-like - hierarchical structure. This way it will be clearer to you what you have in the network, and then you can put background of actual map of the area, for the specific dude map of the respective network.

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:36 am

Doesnt Dude rely on "PING" to get the primary contact of a device?

How about blocking ICMP from leaving the gateway (s) from the Dude server...

Let me guess the gateway IS the dude server ... DOH !!!!

Try running it on a seporate box that you can block packets from...

Just an idea..
Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmm"...

Craig

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:24 pm

This is stragne. ever since first time I used Dude, I wanted it to discover all subnets in my network, but it does not. it just discover my subnet and stops, it does not even bother to try to scan outside subnet unless I start separate scan for other subnet ip range.

If I set ip range of whole network which includes all subnets it scans them all but it doe snot recognize actual subnets but just puts everything in ine network.

Can anyone explain how to achive that Dude scans and recognizes subnets on his own?

jorj

Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:47 am

In arranging the "real" subnets, is not "that" great. But hey, if you have discovered whole your equipment, then, by all means, do separate them yourself, and group them accordingly to the phisical position, and you'll be more than happy.
For me it's allways been easier to scan a subnet at one time, put it on it's own map, and link to it from one other map, the main, or other in wich she has phisycal links.
It even gets you a self confidence seeing with pooling on, how your stations are.
So, scan one at a time.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:04 pm

That's how I do it, but anyways I would prefer if it could recgonize subnets, which should be possible, as al subnets arecreated using MT, so it could get even network masks..

jorj

Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:23 pm

That's how I do it, but anyways I would prefer if it could recgonize subnets, which should be possible, as al subnets arecreated using MT, so it could get even network masks..
Actually, it can't do that, depending on where are you scanning. If you are in the same broadcast domain, it might do it, but from a distance, I don't see how it could know that. For example, if you have 2 /26 networks, and both are adressable by the same router, how could it find out it's not a /25 ?!?
After you specify connect parameters and device type, yes, dude knows what's inside the router, but before, i don't think so. If SNMP is enabled, and dude knows the comunity string, it might find out a lot of more information, but just from scanning, not.