Community discussions

MikroTik App

zamri
Topic Author

device link from core switch

Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:45 am

..morning,,

my switch have 2 up link to 2 core switch.

can dude show link status if 1 uplink down ( like change color from green to red)

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: device link from core switch

Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:28 pm

If it is an etherchannel it is possible but I have not figured out which OID to check yet. If you find the oid you can create a probe from that but it might need to be built into a function that is ran by a probe since you will need to check if either interface is not up.

When you hover over the link the speed should be 2gbps or what ever the combined link speed is. You might be able to create a probe that just checks this value and if it is not the device would show an error.

Probes don't run on links though so the error would be on the device and not on the link. If there was an snmp type that handled etherchannels you should be able to just assign the correct type of interface alas there is not one that I know of.

When you configure an etherchannel on a cisco device you can specify the minimum number of links. You might be able to build a probe that watches if the minimum links is in error. Although I don't know what happens on an etherchannel that doesn't have the minimum links value set if there is less than that number. Does the link just stop working? That would need some testing.

If it is two seperate links that are just routed or trunked you will need to have one link go to a static item and another link go to the real device since you can't have two links between the same two devices...

Sorry I can't completely answer your question but it is a complex issue.

chrisd13
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:07 pm

If you are talking about manitoring 2 ports which have been trunked then it is possible if the switches allow you to view the trunk as one oid and the individual ports as their own oid's too. I can monitor a trunk (2 x 1gbps) but I can also monitor the 2 ports it is using independantly of the trunk, so if one link/port goes down the trunk will still be up and working, but I will be notified of which trunk port has died.

Apologies if this is not what you were asking about!! :)

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:44 pm

Ahh yes that makes sense and should be easy... That was exactly what I was talking about.

When I get around to adding this I will post instructions here.