Community discussions

MikroTik App

vgs
Topic Author

Importing devices into Dude

Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:33 am

hey folks.. I'm trying to come up with a way to mass-import devices from another NMS into Dude (3.0 RC3).
I've managed to export a Castlerock database into a MySQL table, so I have access to raw data for about 2500 devices and the corresponding maps that they belong to.

The question is... Other than XML, is there any other way to import raw device data? If not, is there a FAQ/manual for the XML format?

Also... Does the Import feature erase existing maps/devices or append to them?

thanks!

rebellion

Re: Importing devices into Dude

Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:35 am

i've think about it too, but it seems like there is no way except xml ):

vgs
Topic Author

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:29 pm

Well, I'm making some headway trying to figure out how to import foreign devices into Dude.

I'm basically generating raw XML from SQL, and copy/pasting it into specific Dude maps. I'm having trouble associating Devices/NetworkMapElements/Services though...

If anyone has any idea exactly how this XML format works (especially sys-id tags), please let me know.

Dude devs?... some help maybe? :mrgreen:

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:59 pm

That is crazy but it might be easier than rediscovering 2500 devices... Anyhow if I had to do this I know of a bug that they have not fixed yet that will help you discover how the sys-id tags are supposed to work.

Start a local server of dude maybe even on a different computer. Create a map with 3 devices and links between all of them.
Export that XML, select one of the devices copy and paste it... Notice the link is copied also. If you try to change which interface that link is monitoring it will not apply. That is the bug, I believe that the sys-id tag of the copied device/link pair is not created correctly and you should be able to export this with the broken stuff and compare it to the devices that were added manually. Fix the sys-id on the broken link, re-import the fixed map and prove that you can change which interface that link is monitoring. Then I hope you should have a good idea how sys-id tags are supposed to work... And I could be completely wrong :)

GL
SD