Community discussions

MikroTik App

rnbguy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

how to create device groups

Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:17 am

Guys im curious if theres a way to create device groups, so say ping fails on one device , i wont be notified, if on both devices (everything in that group) i will be notified?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: how to create device groups

Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:52 am

if I understand your objective correctly, you need to set up dependencies. choose dependency layer from the top-right dropdown, and then use the dependency arrows to indicate which devices are depending on which other devices.

this way, if the router is down, you won't get notification for all devices behind it.

rnbguy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:59 am

very useful reply, but unfortunetly doesnt answer my questions, im basically trying to wait till two devices go down before i get notified... for example, i dns query two dns servers, and i dont want to recieve a notification unless they both go down, not just one. so its like their in a group and unless the whole group is down i dont get notified.

rnbguy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:38 pm

i guess this isn't possible?

rnbguy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:27 am

okay im starting to crave this feature more and more, basically when i create a link to a network map it shows three digits:

[number of devices] / [numbner of unstable devices] / [number of down devices]

can i get an action to occur when either of:
[numbner of unstable devices] or
[number of down devices]

reach a certain value (e.g. email me when 5 devices are unstable in a network map).

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:17 am

ok, there is another way to do what you want.

you could make a Function probe, that pings those two specific ip addresses, then add this new probe as a service to a device, and then use some notification for this device or service type.

rnbguy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:43 pm

thats a nice thought however these devices are pinged along with oid results are used to determine stability of device, so that approach wont work as you can't oid query another ip from a function of a different device.

sady
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:32 pm

no, you can. You can query any device ip with ping and snmpwalk from any device. Or I didn't understand your quest?

markbecken09
just joined

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:40 am

Hi,
I have used every type and variant of security profile, even what you've mentioned, all with the same error. So, I really am stuck.Thanks for the suggestion though ... and I am working on CCM Version is 6.1.3.1000-16 ... please help me out emoticon.

Thanks.

TheArtfulPenguin
just joined

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:34 am

It looks like dependancies will do what I need but I have a couple of questions on creating them.

I clicked on the dependencies in the layer, then right clicked in the map to add dependancy, and it added it but I would have thought that it would have left a line, but there isn't a line to show the dependency is there. Is there a way to show the dependency arrows?

To make sure there was a dependency I tried to add another in the reverse direction and it told me dependency loops are not allowed so I know it is there.

Also how do I delete a dependecy if I can't see a line showing them?

I am using Dude 3.3

Thanks. Steve.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:27 am

Dependencies show up in 3.4, wonder if you set the option for curved or not for dependencies if that would get them to show up.
Also check in the main setup map tab the dependency appearance "color" maybe it is the same color as your background.