Community discussions

MikroTik App

jtech
just joined
Topic Author

The dude stopped abiding....Help! - RESOLVED!

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:59 pm

First...a sincere thank you and great work to the Dude team for making this tool available...it's a lifesaver for us. I really hate having to bother you about his but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Here is the issue that I'm having.

I had the dude installed on a Windows XP box. Because, I think, of XP's inherent IP stack limitations I started having all sorts of false positives on our maps. Got a new X86 box installed router OS 4.0beta2 on it (because it's was the only release since 3.13 that works with SATA drives.) When I export the file from the XP server and try to re-import it on the new dude server I get two separate messages:

"Error: Connection Closed"

and

"Error: Operation failed: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine"

I've removed all of the network limitations in the settings before doing the export and tried setting the admin password to blank with no success. The admin user on the XP box has no network limitations.

The dude version is 3.2 on both machines.

If I stop the Dude, delete the store and restart it, I can connect remotely just fine.

Thank you in advance for your time,
JTech

********UPDATE***********

This has been resolved...I'm an idiot and sharing the resolution just in case someone else runs into the same problem. When I prepped the old dude for exporting...Instead of changing the allowed networks to 0.0.0.0/0 I just removed what class c I had in there before and left the /24 at the end. Here is a screen shot of what I did.

I noticed my mistake after looking at the Admin user and noticing the correct setting for Allowed networks.

scottgoodhart
just joined

Re: The dude stopped abiding....Help! - RESOLVED!

Tue May 25, 2010 10:11 pm

I'm having a similar issue, except all my network settings (as shown in your images) are at 0.0.0.0/0. I tried your /24 on the network addresses, but could no longer remote into the dude. I had to VNC into it and reset to /0.

I click the export button,
in the lower right hand corner it says "exporting..." then apparently disconnects from the server and restarts. I get the same error messages you stated.

We just want to make a backup! It happens on both the "server" and the client machines. All XP Pro SP3.

Wondering if copying the /data folder into a new installation would do the same trick? We're using version 3.6.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 26, 2010 4:51 pm

Yes backing up the data folder should be enough but I would continue to look into why you are not able to export.

Exporting a backup XML file will include all the files you added to the files folder and log files. You can reduce the log files sizes by keeping less days. I would imagine that problems exporting XML can be related to having a huge data folder...

I have a scheduled task that copies the dude folder to a backup folder once a month, I also occasionally export XML and save it locally...
My data folder is about 128MB. The XML backup was about 48MB.

scottgoodhart
just joined

Wed May 26, 2010 5:22 pm

The solution to my problem was that I had huge log files (totaled about 4.5 GB) I stopped all instances of the dude in taskmgr, moved the logs to a temp directory, then restarted the dude. The backup proceeded as desired!

omar95
just joined

Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:18 pm

Can you send the picture because it does not open with me

thanks ...