Community discussions

MikroTik App

jc24
just joined
Topic Author

What's the prerequisite for getting responses on the forum?

Tue May 05, 2009 5:32 pm

This question is kinda circular but it seems as though you must be a member for a certain length of time or have a certain number of posts to get a response to a question.

If their is a criteria, I would like to know what it is? Maybe it could be published as a sticky.

Aug

Re: What's the prerequisite for getting responses on the forum?

Tue May 05, 2009 6:39 pm

Don't put HELP ME PLEASE in the subject. Something pertaining to the question is good.
Ask a question.
Additional info is always good.
For example, if you are asking about a firewall rule, include your current firewall rules.
Aug

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 05, 2009 6:51 pm

I think the dude software is amazing so I try to answer every question so that more people get it working and the userbase will grow. I think it is a critical mass problem, Once enough people are good at configuring and using the dude questions will be answered very fast.

The trouble I have is I don't have any routerboards so I can't answer many of those questions. Along those lines people use the dude for different things. Some folks want to know how many users are on their wireless access points and others want to automatically discover every device while others like to build their maps from scratch. And then some bugs cause issues in one version and not others. All these things make answering questions more difficult but if you are serious about getting questions answered just bump your own thread and someone will jump in and help.

I think questions get answered faster if the question falls into a category that is already well understood or fits within the context of what the dude can do. The Dude can do so many things no one can answer every question and users need to search the forum since many questions come up multiple times.

Finally the wiki page really needs lots of stuff added to it so users can learn the dude faster.

HTH
SD

CGirardy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 06, 2009 9:54 pm

Thanks for helping us Sweetdude...
You're the ONLY one getting really involved in trying to help us.
I'm still disappointed that no one from Mikrotik is trying to help us.
I think the dude software is amazing so I try to answer every question so that more people get it working and the userbase will grow. I think it is a critical mass problem, Once enough people are good at configuring and using the dude questions will be answered very fast.

The trouble I have is I don't have any routerboards so I can't answer many of those questions. Along those lines people use the dude for different things. Some folks want to know how many users are on their wireless access points and others want to automatically discover every device while others like to build their maps from scratch. And then some bugs cause issues in one version and not others. All these things make answering questions more difficult but if you are serious about getting questions answered just bump your own thread and someone will jump in and help.

I think questions get answered faster if the question falls into a category that is already well understood or fits within the context of what the dude can do. The Dude can do so many things no one can answer every question and users need to search the forum since many questions come up multiple times.

Finally the wiki page really needs lots of stuff added to it so users can learn the dude faster.

HTH
SD
PLEASE... Release source code to the community and start developing The Dude again....
PLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (big cry for help :))

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 06, 2009 10:46 pm

There is usually a fairly constant stream from Normis and I have had ok response from emailing support but yeah it would help if they had a little more presence here. Such a great program it really only needs a few items fixed and would work for almost every situation IMO.

But I am biased to using it on w2k sp2 where if you look at my requests to get polling fixed they have made some improvements but it is still not 100%. I would love to know if any Routerboard folks have the same issues with collection/false positives.

There is not any other bug that I know of that makes it useless except for one person who has interfaces that use PPTP. For me it is useless for notification since it gives hundreds of false positives. It could be my setup and I have notifications from another system so I just use it for bandwidth monitoring and that works great. We should take a collection of show stoppers and see if we can get those fixed.

Like your trouble the as400 snmp issue, it looks like it should work but I can't see why it doesn't. Time to capture more traffic...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu May 07, 2009 9:01 am

we have some Dude consultants here: http://www.mikrotik.com/thedude.php
and also some people on the forum here are really helpful.

Dude is completely free of charge, you can't expect full technical support for it just like for RouterOS.
No answer to your question? How to write posts