Community discussions

MikroTik App

Yatzek
just joined
Topic Author

The Dude in practice

Thu May 28, 2009 9:57 am

Hi, i just finished big (at last for me) project with excercises of 200 workstations, about 10 servers and 4 windows domains...
Roll up and tear down...
Couple of questions to more experienced users or authors...

1. During installation of workstations I'would like monitor progress of powering on new rooms, buildings etc...
I'would like to add for example 100 stations as devices ... from range of ip lets say 192.168.1.30-130 ....
I think its impossibble right now? I mean adding devices one by one is ... time-consuming :)
And in this case I cannot just prepare maps in advance with devices in place, and watch how they slowly turning to green....

2. So... added few devices by hand in advance... how to make them to display Netbios name, after they are connected to network?

3. rnd50/50 - so annoying .... is it possible to delete service from many devices at once?
I've got impression that everything is made here in small scale... but when you manage over lets say 50 wkstations... it begins to be unhandy.

4. Discovering network (192.168.10.0/24) many times... in the morning I have 30 "clouds" (cloudlettes? :) )of the same network all over the map...

5. sorting on map - big issue... when I discover 150 new stations... I have to put them in some parts of map. lining them up doesn't sort them f.ex. by IP or by Netbiosname ...

6. Export and Import of maps to another dude server! ... I can't live without it...

OK.. all in all very handy, small, fast and portable piece of software, (I like it very much) but if point 1,2 and 6 cannot be done ... unfortunatelly we will not use The Dude next time...

Any tips and advices in this field?
thx in advance
(please bear with my english :) )

Yatzek
just joined
Topic Author

Re: The Dude in practice

Fri May 29, 2009 11:11 am

ok
3. - is easy to resolve - just choose services, and I can can delete all rnd:50/50 added by accident.
6. - yeah export also work... whole thing but its ok

so... adding a lot of unconnected stations, and updating their device.names later ... thats what I dream about, even today.
Anybody? any idea?

hkunnana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 29, 2009 5:12 pm

export also work... whole thing but its ok

Excuse me Yatzek, but how is it working?

In your 1st post you wanted to export/import maps between Dude servers.

I hope you don't men exporting the map as an image (pdf,png,...etc)

If you know how to move maps between Dude servers, please let us know how.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:53 pm

1. During installation of workstations I'would like monitor progress of powering on new rooms, buildings etc...

Add a sub map, In the settings, general for that map put the network addresses as a range you would like to discover,
i.e. 192.168.1.30-192.168.1.130. Set the scan interval to how often you would like to discover devices in that range.
Under services un-check every service you would like skip discovering, Under device types create a new device.
Call it computer and give it a graphic, remove every required and allowed service except for what you want added to the device automatically.
Add any services you would like to be ignored (kind of redundant).

On the settings for the main menu (this setting should be moved to settings per map) change the "item placement settings". This controls how devices lineup. Takes a little messing with, delete and rediscover the devices to realign them next scan.

In main or submap settings select Discover-> advanced, uncheck add networks and uncheck add links.

2. So... added few devices by hand in advance... how to make them to display Netbios name, after they are connected to network?
In the discover settings for your submap configure the discover to use "Device Name Preferences".

3. rnd50/50 - so annoying .... is it possible to delete service from many devices at once?
I've got impression that everything is made here in small scale... but when you manage over lets say 50 wkstations... it begins to be unhandy.

On the main settings select Discover -> services, remove any check for a service you never want to discover.

4. Discovering network (192.168.10.0/24) many times... in the morning I have 30 "clouds" (cloudlettes? )of the same network all over the map...

As above; In main or submap settings select Discover-> advanced, uncheck add networks and uncheck add links.

5. sorting on map - big issue... when I discover 150 new stations... I have to put them in some parts of map. lining them up doesn't sort them f.ex. by IP or by Netbiosname ...

As above configure "item placement settings" delete discovered devices and rediscover... (not a good option but will give a clean map when discover network and discover links are unchecked). I'd love to see an option to relayout items in rows. The circle layout is fun but is too messy with 500 items.

6. Export and Import of maps to another dude server! ... I can't live without it...

Export your entire dude configuration then import and delete everything you no longer want. Not elegant but works.

For names once items are discovered select all items on the map that you want to update the name and, select settings, select address to name. I do not know how to change item to netbios name once discovered incorrectly.

Hope that helps and I am just in a hurry to answer so forgive my lack of discipline :)

mmonaghan
just joined

Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:06 am

> In the discover settings for your submap configure the discover to use "Device Name Preferences".

I'm not clear on what you mean by this. None of the options on my maps appear to have a "Device Name Preferences" option.

Thanks for your nice post. ;)

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:09 pm

Click on the middle settings button, click general tab, Click + to add a network to scan, On this page is where Device Name Preference is configured. As it sounds you can select multiple ways for names on your devices to be determined. One of the ways is NETBIOS, IP.

I like to help people get this thing working since it is such great freeware.