Community discussions

MikroTik App

benk
just joined
Topic Author

Notification Issue: Recieve up alert but no down alert.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:50 am

I am using email alerts to alert me when services are down.
Occasionally due to a known scheduled server reboot, the probe would become unavailable. However I ahve a delay on noticifations in case there is some network disturbances etc.

anyway

It seems that as a result of a probe that would go down and up within a matter of minutes (before the delay), I recieve no down notification but instead an up notification.

I have attatched a screenshot of my notification settings.

Would anyone know of a solution to this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pjulian
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Notification Issue: Recieve up alert but no down alert.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:06 pm

I have exactly the same issue at the moment with a custom SNMP probe we are using.
We are using the application or process probe code that somebody put up in the probe thread which works well, however we get these constant UP alerts from it when it never even went down. No up OR down outages appear in the outage list for the device, very strange....

Regards
Paul

Gerlach76
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:37 am

I have the same Problem...

Does anybody have an Idea?

THX

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:57 am

you are missing some additonal checks in that screenshot. devices never go up->down and down->up, they always have unstable in between. make sure you mark those as well.

unstable means that some services are up, and some not. probably - never all your services will become available at the same time.

pjulian
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:51 pm

I do have the notifications set to notify when going from unstable to down and always have, but, what seems to happen is normally the device icon will turn orange when some polls are missed, but in this case mine goes to ACKED automatically when there is a timeout on a service without me ACKing it. Then the service comes back up and I get a message saying the device probe is UP, but no down message, I get the up message because I have selected ACKED>UP in the notifications.

Now I have seen this happen it seems to indicate that this is the problem, for some reason the device is automatically going to an ACKED state when a timeout happens on a service. I have opened the device properties and clicked the Unack button and now it is showing orange correctly.

It seems to me that if you ACK a device and it comes back up, the ACK is not getting reset and the device automatically goes ACKed when a timeout occurs again after that, but on an of the services for the device perhaps.

It looks like this could be some sort of bug causing the ACK to not get reset.

After doing some more testing it seems that if you UNACK all services on the device everything starts working again, even if the services don't show as being ACKED, UNACK them anyway and try that.

Please post back here if you find that it makes a difference.

Regards
Paul

pjulian
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:11 pm

Further testing reveals that it could also happen if you have disabled services for a device which have been ACKed at one stage and then disabled.

Regards
Paul

Gerlach76
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:21 pm

I only want to get an message if the device is down!

Is this possible?

pjulian
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:57 pm

If you only want down notifications normally you would just tick the unstable>down and up>down options in the list of notifications.

Regards
Paul

pjulian
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:35 am

We are finding now that this is not just caused by devices with disabled probes.
We are receiving up alerts for almost all of our monitored devices, so much so that we are getting hundreds of notifications per day.

Is anybody else having this problem because if we can't solve it we will have to change monitoring products as we just can't have this unreliability.

We have even exported the config and re-installed the Dude and imported the data back in case the database had a problem, and no difference.

If anybody could offer any suggestions for this it would be greatly appreciated as it's driving us NUTS and only started happening when we upgraded to V3.4 from 2.2 which was a fresh install and a recreate of every device and probe as the export/import between the 2 didn't work. It would be heaps of work to go back to 2.2 now for us, we might as well change products if we need to move back.

We are also experiencing another issue where if you open the polling section of a device properties one time, you see whatever items you have ticked in a ticked state, then you click OK to close the device properties. When you open it the next time you see different items ticked. Open it again and it's different again. If you want to untick a notification it doesn't save it, or one time it will be not ticked, the next time it's ticked.....Grrrrrr

Regards
Paul