Community discussions

MikroTik App

damenj
just joined
Topic Author

Send SMS notification

Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:24 pm

Hi all,

I need to send notifications via SMS, someone has done this kind of setup? any tips on how to be done?

Regards,
Daniel

keith
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Send SMS notification

Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:19 am

Have you fixed this yet. if not you could set up an email notification and send an email to your phone@carrier (i.e. 5552122122@att.net) and it should send an sms message to your phone. I think that process is close.

ktiedt
just joined

Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:52 am

Keith is right, look up your carriers email to SMS gateway address and fire off an email to the correct email address for the carrier/phone# you wish to send an SMS. Easiest way to integrate SMS notifications into any application that I've seen done.

Ozelo

Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:16 pm

Ive done sms alerts on dude with gnokii program, but my problem lies on the dude call procedure. i.e. A notification is set for sms sending, but when there are more than ONE event message to send the cellphone get flooded and doesnt work cuz dude is overlaping its notification. Would be really nice if MT dude development team do insert a flag for the "execute on server" command that does NOT return from that call until it is finished. Couldnt call gnokii directly to send the same msg for 4 different cellphones, create a batch script instead that call gnokii for many sender at once. At least, a message queue is needed for sms alerts. Without it you may expect miss some messages when it gets overlapped.

parrini
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:32 am

Ive done sms alerts on dude with gnokii program
I am having a hard time figuring out how to pipe the notification from Dude to gnokii. Could you please provide an example on how you did this on the notification setup?

The line:
echo "TEXT" | c:\path\to\gnokii.exe --sendsms 8899999999

doesn't seem to work to me when runing on the server...

Thanks!

geoffsmith31
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:35 am

We have a dial-up modem connected to The Dude server that is controlled by a third party application to send SMS alerts when we have issues with network connectivity, email system or internet services. I have written a VB script that is initiated by The Dude notifications which works out which person to send the alert to and feeds the correct parameters into the third party application. I'm happy to share the script (without any warranty or support implications) - but you will probably need to modify it for your own purposes. Let me know if you are interested.

parrini
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:35 am

Thanks for the answer and the kind offer but my setup is rather different from yours :)

Eventually I made it work with the aforementioned syntax, it was only a matter of running Dude as a service with the right credentials: not Local System or Network User but the actual user logged on.

I am using an USB 3G modem and a small batch script with several phone numbers ran by Dude as a notification that shoot us offband SMS alerting about any problems.

If someone is interested I will gladly provide more details.

Thanks again 8)

andigram
just joined

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:09 am

I have a Siemens MC35i that connects via serial cable.
It has a NextG Sim and was previously used via another monitoring program to send SMS's etc....
But I am sold on The Dude and wish to only use the DUDE for all monitoring and alerts.
Your VB Code would be perfect to call and use my serial gateway.
Any chance you could post it?

ditonet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:06 pm

Try MS SMS Sender if you are running Dude on Windows:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... px?id=5552
It's free app and maybe your phone is supported.

HTH,