Community discussions

MikroTik App

quasarsoft
just joined
Topic Author

Help with Agents

Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:55 am

Hi All,

I'm having issues with getting Agents to work to expectations.

REMOTE (Agent) Dude (let's call it Agent1)
Installed on a Windows XP PC with SNMP Installed and configured.
All servers being monitored have SNMP Installed. Configuration of the SNMP Service points to the IP Address of the Dude Agent PC.
Tested Locally by adding a Device (one of the servers) into the local map and the server appears correctly :-
ie. The Node shows up with the name and a line below the name showing cpu: xx% mem: xx% virt: xx% disk xx%
I take this to mean that the Dude works OK at this remote site and thus removed the device from the map again (as I read another post on this forum that says I don't need to define devices locally on the remote agent, only on the parent Dude system. Firewall at the remote office forwards port 2211 to the IP address of the Dude Agent PC.

LOCAL (Parent) Dude
Local Dude (Parent) system works as expected on all local servers.
Added Agent1 to the list of agents under server configuration and the Status reports as OK.
Proceeded to add the devices (ie. servers) located at the remote office, specifying Agent1 as the agent for this device.
Running Discover only ever picks up very basic services like Ping, netbios, imap4, dns (where applicable).
The added servers all appear in Green on the map when active and we have tested shutting down remote servers to test, and the devices on the map changes colour appropriately to indicate that the servers are down.
However, on the map, these remote servers will not display the additional information that we see with locally accessible servers (ie. the line that shows cpu: xx% mem: xx% virt: xx% disk xx%). Also, a number of other probes that we need to use (eg. the win_disk_c_free probe from the Probes Thread which monitors free disk space on drive C) which works beautifully when defined locally, but cannot get to work when enabled on the remote servers.

What are we missing / doing wrong with out setup ?

Thanks.

sady
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Help with Agents

Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:30 pm

Your setup look very straight to me. Sound like dude bug. I wonder, if i can reproduce it. See you on Monday :)
Please, please, Open Dude Source! Pleaaaaseeeee!!!!!

quasarsoft
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:19 am

Hi Sady,

Did you manage to reproduce the issue on your setup ?

I still have not been able to get this to work as expected.

Thanks.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:42 am

Sounds like SNMP is not working from the agent can you sniff traffic from the agent and see what SNMP is doing?
Since ping and other services that do not require SNMP seem to be working...

quasarsoft
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:39 am

Hi sweetdude,

Thanks for the reply.

What should the Traps and Security tabs in the SNMP Service Properties page be set to on the Agent ?

Even if I left it all as default (ie. no community names or additional settings), if I created a device in the local map on the agent computer, the information I expected to see all show up correctly on the local map of the agent.

However, the parent dude server only ever sees the basic services (as you say - non snmp services)

Note that these are sites that are not linked to the parent server's network by VPN or any other means other than a port forward (port 2211) on their router.

quasarsoft
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:07 am

Hi All,

OK. Found my problem.

When I added the remote devices into the parent dude's map, I forgot to set the SNMP Profile to one that matches the SNMP profile defined at the remote site (every site has a unique SNMP profile). DOH !

Works now.

Thanks.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:08 pm

Glad you solved it, I don't have any agents to test with :)

quasarsoft
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:53 pm

Thanks, sweetdude.

I note that in another post, you mentioned that the Dude uses very little bandwidth. At the moment, having now solved the issue of remote servers appearing correctly via the remote agents :), I am finding there appears to be large amounts of traffic being generated by the Dude system (I have about 70 -80 remote nodes so far and growing that I am monitoring from the central office). I'm going to have to keep a closer watch on the traffic utilisation (we don't have unlimited internet here - at least not at affordable prices anyway). I've changed the polling frequency to 3 minutes to try and reduce the traffic but this is not ideal as I would prefer to be able to respond to status changes more quickly. If all else fails, I might need to create localised maps instead of centralised ones. That way, there's no traffic back to the central office aside from emails notifying me that there's a status change. However, this would be a disappointing outcome as I rather like having all the maps centralised at the main office.

Wish the Dude also works in the reverse way, ie. don't poll the remote agents, instead have the agents transmit selected status changes to the central Dude. The remote agents would have thresholds that can be set to determine if a minor change needs to be communicated back to the central Dude or only updated once an hour, etc. while important status changes are reported back immediately. A very small heartbeat signal may be sent at regular intervals just to let the Central Dude know that it is still alive, basically just to signal "Hey, I'm still here and if I don't say anything else, assume nothing has changed". Polling will still be used for local devices and devices that don't run Dude.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:38 am

Hey quasarsoft ... Ahh yeah that sounds like a good idea for agents to just not communicate when nothing changes...

To keep bandwidth down I only probe one SNMP value on every device, or ping devices that don't support SNMP. The default discovery is very heavy, it adds every service it can. I only have to track network gear and I added the servers that are bandwidth hogs so I can see how things are running. So to really keep the bandwidth down remove every non essential probe.

Why would you ping something you are collecting some SNMP value from? Although I could see adding ping to everything if it was accurate but you get my point. I changed most the probes so they were not automatically discovered but now I just do everything manually to be certain.