Community discussions

MikroTik App

novelty22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

The Dude & disappearances

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:24 pm

After searching very throughly through this forum, among other mailing lists, etc I've seen this mentioned time and time again but never any real "fix" or "solution" provided in any of the threads.

These all deal with "my network map disappeared" or "dude missing devices" or "the dude crashed and i lost my XXX" & the likes. The only real "fix" someone had in the meantime was to uninstall/reinstall then reimport the backup (XML). Just giving this a try gives me the "find another program" reaction, as the backup XML I have so far is 42M, and it's been importing it for 10-15 minutes as of now. I'm not sure at the moment how long this was intended to take when reimporting....

Also if i keep the existing config (don't import a backup XML) and use the one that my devices/maps are randomly disappearing on ... it won't let me create a device, change the background image, or even a label (when i do it greys out the ok and cancel box ..but apply is never grey, just doesn't "apply" anything) on the map until i completely remove and re-create it, and sometimes that still has to be done more than once.

Anyhow, I also tried to import the XML to a linux install of the server. It runs out of memory during the import and locks wine up at the same time (kill -9 everypid winserver-->below).

Is there anyone that still reads this forum still experience any "disappearances" with devices, maps, or links on the due ever find a solution or is everyone still waiting for "a fix"? I did see a few mention they were moving on to other programs (zabbix was one i recall offhand), and at this point I really don't want to have to do that myself, but when you have a network with over 300 devices you need monitored 24/7 I am beginning to believe I may have to look into something else.

How aware is Mikrotik of the issue(s) mentioned, and seeing that some are getting fixed, how long until the Dude would be something of a reliable program for making sure 300 said devices are up and running?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer

novelty22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: The Dude & disappearances

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:48 pm

this may help further clarify my frustration

while this isn't a bad thing, it was very unexpected ...
I get to work this morning, launch the Dude, and suddenly everything that was missing yesterday is now just "there" ..

no re-importing of any XML, just launched the client, connected to the server, and all the devices not in the xml I exported yesterday afternoon, are just "there" ... the backup-*.xml from yesterday afternoon (the one without the devices / maps) is strangley 42MB. I exported a backup this morning as soon as I saw that the devices had re-appeared and so had the map, etc.... it's only 22MB

Am i missing something, or is anyone else experiencing "strangeness" to this degree? This IMHO would be "strangely unreliable" enough to be counted on for an NMS.

Thanks in advance...

novelty22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:12 pm

forgot to add to my previous post (currently unapproved) that the logfiles indicate no changes what so ever in between now && 11:53am yesterday which was hours before my devices / map disappered

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:36 pm

I have been using The Dude for 1.5 years. The program is very complex and does have it's issues but I have been able to do almost everything I would like to do. My main gripe was false positives, which I have solved by setting negative cache time less than the polling retry time. I think people see the GUI and go oh this is easy but get started on the wrong foot with auto discovery...

The best part of the program to me is the right now knowledge of traffic around the network. Due to the way Round Robbin Databases are stored information is thrown away to save space but I have found interesting trends even with the averaging of saved data.

They are converting to a database based storage and maybe leaving the dude and coming back after they finish that version may fit your needs better. Once they do go to database storage that will open up a whole new arena of mining the data.

There are quite a few bugs and hopefully they will do a sweep but I don't think they will until after the database version is released. I don't know why they don't open source it, they have never mentioned that they have thought about it. I know it makes sense to not do anything till they get the next major release out so we will have to wait and see. I do know that an army of developers would come out of the woodwork to fix the issues if they did.

From what I have seen I would rather run it in windows or Router Board, I have never tried under wine. I have a scheduled task that copies the dude folder once a week and occasionally export my XML to have a manual backup. We also have a nightly backup and monthly fulls so I can get my machine back if it goes wacko... I have not had maps disappear or things become unusable (knock on wood).

A possible reason for your XML backup to be so huge is you are keeping too many log files. When I started to syslog everything my XML file blew up to 360MB. Now I only log level 3,2 and 1 and only keep 1 and 2 for longer than a day. My XML file today is 98MB. If I were to start over I would probably add every device manually and never use auto discover. At first I did use auto discover but it adds many probes to every device it finds, yeah that is configurable. I only need to monitor network devices but everyone has different needs.

After using Ciscoworks for 7 years I can say with out a doubt it takes a lot less time to keep the dude server running smooth than it did for Cworks. BUT we have a linux system in place as well "NMIS" which is a really great program and it just works. We put RANCID, Drraw, Switchmap, Weathermap, SEC and some hand made scripts on it as well. The way we have both these systems running perform almost every function of Ciscoworks but it took a lot of time to get NMIS to do all the other things it does.

novelty22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:16 pm

Thanks for the reply.
They are converting to a database based storage and maybe leaving the dude and coming back after they finish that version may fit your needs better. Once they do go to database storage that will open up a whole new arena of mining the data.
I've seen mention of this as a 'feature-request' but i must have missed a post or something saying they were definately going to some kind of DB. What type if you happen to know?
If I were to start over I would probably add every device manually and never use auto discover.
I'd have to do it backwards from my experience. Afrer i manually added all the devices (or tried numerous times) I actually had to "autodiscover" to get it to preform DNS lookups when adding devices by name. It refused to do any kind of DNS look up until i accidently played with "discover" one day. Even checked to see if it was a simply a translation error by creating a tool with ping [Device.Name] (so i knew i wasn't crazy)

I agree it's far from perfect, but still better than some things i've seen and used.

We already have another box in place running Nagios. Was kind of leaning that way since it has a larger community, etc and seems to already do what i' would be doing with the Dude (via an addon/plugin).

Much appreciated.

conjurer
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:25 pm

Once i was trying to speed up dude system, because hdd was bottlenecking everythin. to many random reads/writes. Somebody from mikrotik told me to use "Delayed flush to disk" under mick tab in server configuration. It helped to speed up the system, but then i had also encounterd problem with dissapearing devices. So after week i turnet off that option.
Maybe you have same case.
Well dude is easy, and mikrotik is not giving much resources to develop it. Also i never understood the point of the banner inside program. If i use dude, i allready know their web site, and, i doubt that banner realy gives more customers. Total waste of space.
There are much more problems, like disapearing custom charts after device reboots, lack of features(ccq graph, etc..), device mirroring in different maps..
I am not talking about native linux/macOS server/client, or simple automatic backup solution(snapshots).
Besides those things it is worth its price.