Community discussions

MikroTik App

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

New Network map only says 'loading'

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:37 pm

I am creating a new network map. I have two maps already working.

If I double click on network maps I can see that the map I have created has discovered devices but when I double click on the map itself to view it just sits there saying 'loading...'

What have I missed?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I learn this great tool.

novelty22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: New Network map only says 'loading'

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:43 pm

sometimes' it can get hung up loading images (even the included icons) but usually disconnecting/reconecting the client to the server fixes it....

HTH

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:09 pm

Ok, I am not loading any images or at least have not specified any.

What do you mean when you say disconnect and reconnect the client? I am logged on to the computer running the dude server as local host and experiencing this issue.

novelty22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:42 pm

the lightning bolt in the upper left hand corner of the client (it'll still disconnect you from the server when running it localally)

when you click it a second time you'll see a "login" prompt...

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:48 pm

Just tried. Disconnected at the lightning bolt then relogged on locally and went back to the map in question. Still sitting there 'loading..'

If it matters I can delete and recreate this map as there are only 3 devices on it now. (BH and a router on a new project). I just don't know what I would do differently to get it going.

I appreciate your prompt input.

novelty22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:23 pm

i do recall having that problem with one map myself, but only due to the size of the background i was trying to use on that map

try restarting the server?

*don't forget; you can copy/paste devices

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:42 pm

Restarted the server. Dude didn't start with the server as it should but the more interesting thing was the map is missing... Simply not there under network maps. Do I have a corrupted dude install? (v3.5) if so can I back up and reinstall to fix this issue?

did not know I could copy and paste devices from map to map. I don't know if I can do that as while the loading... displays I don't seem to have any control over that display window. (IE can't click on settings or discovery options on the top nav bar)

novelty22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:14 pm

wow, sounds like you've ran into a few more issues so far than I have...

if you can't click the settings button, i'm wondering how'd you even backup the entire .xml i know there's ways to copy/paste parts of it (e.g. copy a device in the Dude, paste it in notepad... kinda like gEarth)

sorry i couldn't be of more assistance

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:58 pm

Thanks anyway. I ended up reinstalling 3.5 and wiping settings. If I re-import my saved xml the problem is still there but I've found that the map always disappears when I close dude.

I'm thinking of starting over. (100 devices) but something isn't right if I can't add maps.

On the other note though. how can I copy a device from one map to another as you mentioned?

novelty22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:38 pm

just select it, and in the toolbar on the top next to the + / - for add / remove device, there are 2 icons that represent copy/paste....yeah; they don't exactly scream COPY/PASTE, took myself a while to see them

as far as the map issue.... i had so many i don't know how to begin to give advice.... my rule of thumb i found to fololow ... just make sure it's smaller than 4000x4000 or the client will choke on loading pretty much any image

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:28 am

thanks for the tip. Unfortunately this is the default 'image' when first loading creating a map. I think it might be called 'grid' or something. Perhaps I can try to create a map without an image at all then add one later???

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:35 pm

Well I seem to have gotten around the issue. I created the map but did not discover. I then manually added the devices in question. this worked. Anytime I tried to discover the map would crash at loading... or if I did discovery after creating the map and not during the creation I would see devices appear then disappear then the map would hang as well.

Adding devices manually worked in this case. Using discovery caused problems for me on this map. (worked fine for other machines)

Edit: Still having trouble. I have loaded dude from scratch on another machine, created a map by doing nothing other than naming it. Still loading. I'm becoming a little scared of it. Can't find a common reason or a reliable solution.

I have no image, no discovery. Only a name and it is stuck. :( any other other thoughts would be appreciated.

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:35 pm

In the spirit of posting my progress...

I have uninstalled dude 3.5 and started from scratch. I cannot create any map except modify the default 'local' map.
Any map I create will hang on 'loading'.

I have uninstalled 3.5 rebooted and installed dude 3.4 but I still the issue remains. (Again trying from scratch, I did the reset on install)

I have named the map and hit ok to create. No other config. I have also tried changing from the default no image to the built in grid image and still nothing.

I tried on another computer. (32bit win server 2003) The other computer was win server 2003 r2 64bit. still nothing.

Tried another attempt this way: I Installed to winxp pro 32 bit where I had first experimented with dude. fresh install, clicked on 'network maps', then the plus sign, took the default map name of 'network map' and hit ok to create the map. It is stuck on loading.

I also got my hands on a v3.3 of the dude and tried that on win xp pro. Still nothing. Makes me believe the problem is me. :)

It is as if I am missing pre-configuring something???

Thanks in advance. Seems no one else is having trouble and I can't pinpoint why it is just me
Any input is appreciated as I love the tool but it

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:20 am

I can't understand how you are having such trouble... Can you humor me and try this...

Go sit at the computer that is going to be the dude server, open the dude, click on local server button, when asked for how to run click enable on local host and click only when local client is running... this is just for now. Click connect, select local, username admin, no pw.

Delete all the maps so there are none left, exit the dude, restart the dude. Is there a new map called local in there?
Create a new map and see if it loads.
Get a few maps created...

Click the local server button, change to "service" and reconnect. Make some maps and see how it goes from there.

I had no trouble doing any of the above but the client has been used mostly to connect to a remote server.
Hopefully you will get to the bottom of this loading thing. I have seen this trouble with icons and once in a while with a new map.
Leaving the map the default name was the workaround and is documented in here somewhere but I saw you tried that.
Anyhow looking forward to hearing what happens.

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:12 am

Happy to try. :) I'll give it a shot in the morning and post back. It's beer time here at this point.

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:12 pm

Gave it a shot but no dice. Made the local server changes then deleted all maps, exited and got back in. It did recreate the 'local' map. Created a new map and clicked on it but it is 'loading'. :(

As a side note: When I close dude and re-open the maps that are stuck 'loading' disappear. All I have is the 'local' map. It appears dude is not able to finish creating the map and thus it is never saved in the config???

I have also tried with the machine connected and not connected to the internet.

Any other thoughts?

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:12 pm

Crazy ok so is it a rights problem? Sounds like it can't write to c:/program files/dude ...

Do you have some interesting domain rules for the program files folder?

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:01 am

hmmm. None that I am aware of but I'll take a look at permission on the program files/dude folder next. I assume it needs admin rights etc.

I'll play with that and post back. I'm not sure if that will work as I tried on multiple machines and all were as an admin but here goes...

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:21 pm

I know it doesn't make any sense. Are all the machines you tried it on joined to the domain?

Do you have the local administrator login? Without logging into the Domain...

Can you try it on your laptop/desktop at home? Reading through your posts I find that it must be totally confusing.
I created an XML with just a few of maps... I have attached it to this post. You should be able to import it.
After that if you exit the dude and restart the dude you should still see all the maps, if not the dude could not write to the disk.

You should see local, map1, map2, map3, map4 and map5. Each map has 1 device test, test1, test2, test3, test4, and test5.
I was able to export and re-import this backup with out any trouble on a local server.

HTH,
Lewbowski
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:12 pm

None of the machines are on a domain, I have local admin rights on the account I am trying to install to on all the test machines.

Your xml loaded fine with no hiccups. Open and close dude and the maps stay.

completely weird.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:15 pm

Could you add a map to it and do they load?

Yeah that is weird...

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 pm

Nah, been playing with that for a bit. I run dude as administrator on the 2003 r2 server. create a map. It says loading but just hangs. When I restart dude the map isn't there. It is just like it can't write to disk for a new map.

Permissions look fine for the root administrator. Also tried on an xp laptop with a local administrator account. Same thing. Loads your maps fine but I can't create one.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:53 pm

That is mind boggling...

How about moving the dude folder out of program files? Place the dude folder on c:\?
Just as stumped as you are.

Joe

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:24 am

Oh sometimes the download is corrupt... have you downloaded the installer from a different location?

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:11 am

I got 3.5 from the mikrotik website. when I tried 3.4 and 3.3 I had to search the net to find them so I've tried getting them from different spots.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:54 pm

Oh yeah, I am stumped... here grab some more straws...

Click on admins panel, make sure group full has all polices checked? Create a new group, admins give the group all the policies, put your self in the group.
admin.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:36 pm

No dice. Created new user with full rights. Added myself to the group. still says loading when I create a map.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:10 pm

What is common with every one of these computers you are trying to use?
Are they all AMD CPU? I can't imagine why the problems... Do you have a few other computers you can try it on? I have ran it on 3 different computers and don't have any map issue with any of them.

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:42 pm

hmmm, none are on a domain, two are 32bit one is 64bit. winxp, 2003 and 2003 r2 (64bit).

All installed under local admin....

I'll give it some more thought but I do have a few more computers I can try. I will do that and post back.

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:23 pm

ok so I tried to other machines that have never had dude on them. I went to the mikrotik website and downloaded the new version of dude 3.6.

Installed to a vista 32bit that has never had dude and an xp pro that has never had it. Both have the same trouble.

Things in common:

All installs are local administrators, (different logins but all local admins)
All machines are on the same lan,
some machines have no antivirus installed, others have avg or avast so I don't think it is a firewall issue???,

have to say i'm really stumped. Can't imagine why I'm the only person to have the problem across so many machines and can't get any to work.

hopp
just joined

Sun May 09, 2010 9:41 am

I ran into this very same problem building Submaps for our systems. Here's how I solved it.

1)+ a new network map leave the name at default.
2)Add Devices either by discovery or copy paste from another map.
3)Rename the map what you want it to be.

To reiterate: I only had this problem when I would try and call a new empty map anything but the default name...It would hang on loading. The steps above resolved this issue.

HTH

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon May 17, 2010 6:16 pm

I tried that hopp earlier on but no dice. I also learned this week that I have the same issue when creating a chart. click on chart, then + to create chart, take the defaults and that also just hangs on loading???

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 17, 2010 6:22 pm

When you install are you changing anything? When you install there should be a file C:\dude.cfg. Is your user unable to write to c:\ to deal with this file?

If all the computers you have tried have the same issue I can only guess that when you are installing you are not taking the defaults?

gapc
just joined

Thu May 20, 2010 12:37 pm

I had this really annoying problem too and found a workaround just to get other network maps.

Basically just use the copy and paste buttons above your list of Network Maps to copy an existing working map and press paste to create a working copy. Rename the "mapname-copy" and add or remove devices as required. Not exactly a great solution but at least I can no create as many other maps as I want.

qdza
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat May 07, 2011 2:51 pm

Jamesy,

How large is your map in px?

ITG
just joined

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:23 pm

I recently had this problem with 4.0beta2.
Found that if I left the map at default, I was able to create a new map that worked. Then deleted the map that says "loading:.

linocost
just joined

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:43 am

you have to set the server configuration to find the only services you need for discovery new map devices.

In server settings go to the search tab and deselect the serivices that you do not need to discovery.
E.G. I use only ping.

The loading appears becouse dude server try to serch all services in that list when you say to him to dicovery the new network.

Regards

Fabrizio

francois
just joined

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 am

My workaround for this exact same problem is to add a submap on an existing map and then select new map. Just delete the submap on the current map.

liquidxd
just joined

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:40 pm

I have the same issue in Dude4.0beta3.I create a new map and then hit the discover button to search the devices, it works for me

sudiptakp
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:50 pm

I observed that if you add a new map and while adding you do not change the default name that appears, the loading issue does not come.

Afterwards, you can rename the map.