Community discussions

MikroTik App

randallr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Dependency Direction (clarify)

Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:09 pm

Wanted to make sure I do dependencies right before I get too far...
Example: 4 devices on a tower A, B, C, D. If all go down, to only get one notification...
I started doing it B -> A, C->A, D->A, but I see that "A" list's the others as parents. So, I assume I should draw from the top level device to the devices to ignore if it's down? A->B, A->C, A->D
Seems backwards to me, but so does life....

Thanks...

P.S.... I wish I started using this long ago...
Thanks guys for continuing development on Dude... Next time you come to Texas, it will be free drinks on me!

novelty22
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Dependency Direction (clarify)

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:29 pm

it does seem kind of 'backwards' to me as well

randallr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Dependency Direction (clarify)

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:04 pm

Maybe I don't understand the purpose of dependencies....
I was wanting to eliminate notifications for every radio on a tower if the BH goes down etc...

I first drew the dependencies from the AP's on a tower to the BH . I changed the IP on the BH to make it show down. Then I did this on one of the AP's. I still get notifications on both.

Then I removed these, and tried to draw the other direction. When I tried to draw the second one, from the BH to an AP, I get "dependency loops not allowed" .

I wish there was a way to set max number of notifications during say 10 minutes... I lost a main link and it had sent 130 notifications before I could log in and turn it off.