Community discussions

MikroTik App

Annihilator
just joined
Topic Author

Dude Agents initiating connections to to Dude Server

Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:21 am

At present, central Dude servers have the ability to connect to (multiple) Dude agents - the servers are the ones who initiate the TCP connection. I'd personally very much like the ability for the agents to be the ones who initiate their connections to the central Dude server - this would make firewalling and securing distributed setups much simpler, and would allow for monitoring of systems behind ingress-restrictive service providers or using links with non-static IP addresses.

gsandul
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Dude Agents initiating connections to to Dude Server

Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:48 pm

You should post it in "Vote for new DUDE features!"

As a solution you can use, for examle, openvpn to make your agents connect to centrlal openvpn server (probably on the same server the Dude is running) and to get predefined IP addresses. Also the dude server will contact agents in more secure mode.

Annihilator
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:51 am

You should post it in "Vote for new DUDE features!"

As a solution you can use, for examle, openvpn to make your agents connect to centrlal openvpn server (probably on the same server the Dude is running) and to get predefined IP addresses. Also the dude server will contact agents in more secure mode.
Indeed I could, but this would even further complicate the setups, and introduce another redundant layer into the mix. SSL secured Dude connections are secure enough, IMO.

gsandul
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:33 pm

SSL secured Dude connections are secure enough, IMO
Are they SSL secured? I gues - not. Connections are secured, but not using SSL.

Do you believe SSL connections to Dude web server are secured by default?
Again not, till you will not change the certificate.pem to certificate generated by yourself.