Community discussions

MikroTik App

ulliGT
just joined
Topic Author

Device Type Services

Thu May 06, 2010 12:35 pm

Me again!

Sorry for flooding this forum with questions but I'm recently working on my diploma project and the Dude is a part of that ;-)

I just stumbled over a configuration parameter I cannot comprehend:
When you open a device's config window
=> general tab
=> type
=> button with three dots (to bring up the device types window)
=> double click on windows computer
=> services tab

Here you see all available probes with the headline 'ignored' next to them. Surprisingly out of the box the only probe activated and so set to be ignored (!) for the windows computer is 'windows'. I would have expected exactely the other way around. Does anybody know what this means? Or is the headline wrong? FTP, web or mail servers do not have a default config on this tab... hmmmm...

The second question regarding this config is it's purpose: if everything I select here is ignored is there also a place to chose which services should always be checked with a device type, e.g. HTTP on a web server? So I don't have to turn that on individually in every device. And does the above mentioned 'ignore' setting override the settings I make for each corresponding device?

thanks again!
ulli

gsandul
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Device Type Services

Thu May 06, 2010 2:59 pm

Here you see all available probes with the headline 'ignored' next to them. Surprisingly out of the box the only probe activated and so set to be ignored (!) for the windows computer is 'windows'.
Windows Service is made to map host with windows installed on it, to group "windows hosts", it is marked as required for windows host.

After you map host to group "windows hosts" you do not need to check this service anymore (there is no reason). That is why it is in "Ignored" state.

When you will do "services discover" for windows host the service "windows" will appear for a time and then will be authomaticaly removed (after host is detected and marked as a windows host).

Hope I answered both questions.