Community discussions

MikroTik App

provoshane
Topic Author

Link line is red

Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:30 am

I have noticed that a few of the links between devices periodically turn red. What does this mean and where can I look at the data that causes it?

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Link line is red

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:50 am

That means that there is a large amount of traffic on the link but to see who is using the bandwidth you will need wireshark or netflow.

When you double click on a link you can see the bandwidth graph.

brof

Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:24 am

How am I able to setup a email alert if a link hits 90% usage...
I am monitoring a 100Mbps Link with Cisco switches each side of a EM PTP link and was caught out when the link hit 100% usage...Thanks in advanced

provoshane
Topic Author

Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Ok, I understand that it means high usage, but what constitutes high? I have a 100 Mbps connection to my upstream provider on this link, but it turns red at about 38 Mbps. Is it turning red merely because of the amount of bandwidth, or is it showing packet loss or some other alert status?

znet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:10 am

A great seemingly un-noticed feature of the link setup is manipulating when the line 'goes red'. Use the 'speed' checkbox, and when the link hits a threshold, the line and label box will start changing. Seems like it takes a little practice on different types of links to get it to go red. I like type 'unknown' because it seems it doesnt seem to assume anything about line speed.

I use this 'feature' to make customer links be more noticable when visually monitoring the Dude. Just try half or a quarter of the theoretical line speed, and see what it does. You can fine tune it to a threshold that is meaningful to you. I assure you it is very noticable (and you can change colors) to casual users. If there are bandwidth hogs, catch them early by seeing when and how often the line 'starts burning up' as I tell them...In other cases, it can show the subset of customers who are really using your network. Very handy....

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:59 am

Yes, and to answer
How am I able to setup a email alert if a link hits 90% usage...
It can be done, Use the rate function. How to use it is another story. As always there is probably a better way than the one in the probe thread. They changed how it works as well so look at the beta thread if you are running it.
A great seemingly un-noticed feature of the link setup is manipulating when the line 'goes red'.
I have all the gig links set to go red at 50Mbps. That is the only way to see if anything is going on.... and it is always the network is slow, LOL.