Community discussions

MikroTik App

wavespan
Topic Author

Arris CXM CoaxMedia Gateway and SNMP tables

Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:10 am

Im trying to get a Arris CXM Cable modem gateway to be monitored in Dude using SNMP I have the mibs and there loaded fine but seem to be running into a problem. These cable modems do not have IP address like Docsis type sytems this is installed in a few hotels I manage and works well except for the monitoring part. I want to have a list or a map of modem MAC address to room number and at a glance see what rooms are not responding. Problem being I can not monitor each modem directly I have to poll the gateway for the info since this system acts as a media converter/bridge it appears the info I need is in a SNMP Table. Dude and other SNMP programs seem to get caught in a loop when it hits the Modem table data when I SNMP walk the device. I tried using snmpgettable in linux with the mibs and sure enough theres the goodies I want displayed in a pretty table. Question basicaly is how do I get this table to work in Dude?

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Arris CXM CoaxMedia Gateway and SNMP tables

Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:35 pm

Well if snmp walk from within the dude doesn't work you can still try to grab specific oids.

Have you attempted to build a probe with the OIDs you are interested in?

The other solution might be to call an external program to do the request for you, search for "SNMP write"....

HTH,
Lebowski

wavespan
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:03 pm

I can get the oid for the snmp table it seems dude doesnt support custom tables.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:10 am

I don't have any way to test so I suggested using an external to do the work.

wavespan
Topic Author

Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:05 am

If you do not understand what snmp tables are then why bother posting you contributed nothing. I guess a simple question would be what is dude suppost to do when doing a snmp walk on a device and hits a table ? Does it support tables ? and for those who know what snmp tables are , Yes I have the MIB loaded for my Arris device and yes I can pull other data using the MIB or just the OID just this table loops over and over with a value of 1 and never stops.

gsandul
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:19 pm

Yes I have the MIB loaded for my Arris device
Is it loaded in The Dude? If not - load it.
1.png
When loaded, MIB becomes "compiled" so you do not need to do any more steps.
After it, while snmpwalking you will be able to open table in snmpwalk utility
For a sample.
Before loading cisco Memory MIB
2.png
After it.
3.png
Go to the next post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gsandul
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:22 pm

And you can dobleclick on the table name and will see the table as on picture below
4.png
If this does not help you may only try to find bug in your device.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wavespan
Topic Author

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:50 pm

Thank you.. I did have the MIB loaded and working I missed Table tab for some reason but snmp walking still loops at the table I need. Yet if I use " snmptable -m +CXM-REG:CXM-BG-BASE 00.XX.0.XX xxxxxx .1.3.6.1.4.1.11534.3.1.6.2 " On a linux server
I get the table displayed :-( Messing around with it I think there is something wrong with the mib file that cause programs that are strict to adhere to it. but im not sure I use a mib browser program and this is what I get
mib-browser.JPG

gsandul
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:25 pm

snmp walking still loops at the table I need.....
Messing around with it I think there is something wrong with the mib file.....
Walking loops could not be caused by wrong mib files. Mib files are used by programs wich query snmp enabled devices (snmp agents), not by agents. SNMP request are always sent and responces received using doted decimal OID's.
The reason should be in your device, wich does not handle snmp getnext requests properly.
Probably, when you are using snmptable utility from Linux, it query your device using getbulk request - not getnext (The Dude uses getnext), and that is why it works.
To find the reason you should investigate it using wireshark on The Dude server and tcpdump on Linux to find the difference in device query they are using.

By the way, why don't you use The Dude Mib Browser?
pic1.png