Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ability to import multiple devices and their probes and appearance via spread sheet or data base

Yes
1 (50%)
No
1 (50%)

Total votes: 2

bstedh
Topic Author

Device specific Appearance

Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:58 pm

Is there any possible way to set the device appearance globally for specific device types? i.e. If I want to have certain information for an access point show up for just Access points but not have that information show up for other devices. Manually editing every ap in the network is not an option as there are several hundred to change. Also I have several different types of microwave connections and I need different information to show up for each type. Right now I have to manually change every device appearance I add to the Dude to show the information I need on the map.

As we are starting to use the DUDE more and more we are talking literally thousands and thousands of devices that will need to be added. Most of this could be accomplished with an import function where we could set up everything in a database and then import it. However at this point I am stuck editing everything manually.

I could probably even get the company to pay some money to get some enhancements included quickly into the DUDE because everyone that has looked at it for my local network was highly impressed. The downside is that I have become the Goto guy to help implement The DUDE in other networks. My network was fine as I only have 26 service sites to monitor and the setup although tedious, is doable. However now I am helping to set up monitoring for a couple more networks as kind of a beta test and now we are talking over 1000 sites with at least 12 pieces of equipment to monitor each.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Device specific Appearance

Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:09 pm

+1 it would be much more modular if the device appearance was moved on to the device type.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:53 am

You can already set some global settings for device types, what else would you like to see here?

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:42 pm

For me I was speaking specifically about the tool tip popup but I think the OP meant the device label.

brue
just joined

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:07 pm

I want to be able to add a device by IP Address then select the device type. Once the device type is selected I would like it to automatically populate the services for that device. Seems The Dude will do this but has major issues with populating custom Function services. The custom SNMP services seem to populate correctly.

HaydenHarnet
just joined

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:13 pm

I think also the OP meant the device label.

bstedh
Topic Author

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:51 pm

I have several different device types in the network. As an example I have Power supplies, Switches, site controllers, Base Stations, and microwaves. On the Microwave appearance I like to have the current RSL value, on the Base Stations I like to have the current number of CPE's connected, and on the Power Supplies I like to have the current voltage displayed.

Right now I have to edit the appearance of each device individually for these values to show up on the map.

Here is an example of the appearance for one of my power supplies. For clarification this is placed by right clicking on the device and selecting appearance and then pasting this into the label field.

[Device.Name]
[oid("1.3.6.1.4.1.13858.2.3.2.0")/100]V [oid("1.3.6.1.4.1.13858.2.3.3.0")]A [oid("1.3.6.1.4.1.13858.7.1.1.1.3.0")]C
R1 [oid("1.3.6.1.4.1.13858.2.1.6.1.4.1.1")/100]A R2 [oid("1.3.6.1.4.1.13858.2.1.6.1.4.1.2")/100]A R3 [oid("1.3.6.1.4.1.13858.2.1.6.1.4.1.3")/100]A
[device_performance()][Device.ServicesDown]

This gives the DC voltage,total amperage, Battery temp, and Amperage on three rectifiers.

As you can see I like to have several parameters visible on the map to facilitate diagnostics and health determination at a glance.

Right now I have a text document with the appearance settings for each individual type of equipment and I can just copy and paste them in but I still have to open the appearance for each device paste it in, in order to do this.

alice
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:29 pm

Let me rephrase this problem:

I have 100 Mikrotik AP's and 100 Cisco AP's. Based on setting the proper Device Type (which I am willing to do manually) I'd love to reach automatically a proper label for displaying the number of associated clients (which means a different Appearance/Label for each device type).

Do I have to manually copy and paste for each device's label either

[oid("iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.ciscoMgmt.ciscoDot11AssociationMIB.ciscoDot11AssocMIBObjects.cDot11AssociationGlobal.cDot11ActiveDevicesTable.cDot11ActiveDevicesEntry.cDot11ActiveWirelessClients.1")] Wireless Clients

or

[array_size(oid_column("iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mikrotik.mikrotikExperimentalModule.mtXRouterOs.mtxrWireless.mtxrWlRtabTable.mtxrWlRtabEntry.mtxrWlRtabStrength"))] Wireless Clients

It is also very likely that I may need some more label redefinitions in future.

Thx

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:20 pm

Yes if you want intermingled devices with different appearances then you have to do it individually but if you do something like put every wireless device on a single map (and no other device types) then you can modify the MAP settings. Also having various OIDs on devices appearance (in the global settings) doesn't cause any issue for devices where they do not work, the OID is attempted and it is a failed lookup but if they have some label of some sort that would still show up.

I have every wireless access point on a single map so I have appearance modified on that map.

Lebowski.

jklz
just joined

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:53 pm

after looking into this and almost giving up i was looking around in settings and i was able to find that if you login to the dude server via winbox then from the left menu go Dude > Server Config and select the tab "Map" you are able to do update the default label for all devices, network, submap, static and link appearance.