Community discussions

MikroTik App

marcopolo
Topic Author

Dude sensitivity

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:05 am

I'm hoping this is probably a setting per network object.

I was copying a large chunk of data to an external harddisk and Dude reported lots of unstable emails for said server, what's the best setting to adjust?

Thanks

chrisd13
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Dude sensitivity

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:11 pm

You can look at changing the Polling interval, timeout or count which is set on the Settings > Polling tab for the overall config. This can be altered on a per device basis also under the device's Settings > Polling tab.

Could any of the MT tech. enlighten us on why this does happen? I am assuming it is the device not being able to process the probe requests in the allotted timeout interval due to heavy loads on the device's system?

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:35 pm

I have same problem.
One single Server installed - The Dude, WhatsUp Gold 7, Network Server Monitor 7.

Only Dude have false positives :(
Sometimes i receive 100 and more emails.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:41 pm

configure accordingly. if you get failur, it means some service wasn't reached within specified time. increase the time.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:42 pm

I am going to have to agree with the posters here. There is something up with polling and the trouble is easily reproduced by exporting backup.

I have several probes that fail when I export a backup. Other disk intensive stuff like setting up an automatic jpg export of a map or copying SNMP files into the dude also cause probes to false positive more often.

marcopolo
Topic Author

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:24 pm

I'm not sure the polling interval will make much of a difference. I was copying 80Gb so that can take a considerable amount of time, simply changing the polling internal will only delay when it interogates, not improve the sensitivity.

chrisd13
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:38 pm

I suppose the question comes down to.. are you regularly copying 80gb of data off ya Dude server? As we know, data xfer from/to machines soaks up a lot of local resources and can delay many process responses. I do like a sensitive monitoring tool, but I have tweaked the probe interval and probe down count to cater for other high resource services running on my Dude server, which has delayed alerts, but they are still exceptable. It might be worth playing around with, or maybe you can look increasing process priority for the dude.exe service or reducing the priority of the explorer.exe process when copying? (if its windows you are running the server on) Just a suggestion.

Hope you manage to figure something out.

marcopolo
Topic Author

Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:13 pm

Dude is installed on my PDC, the external HD is connected to a Server that Dude is monitoring but the copy requirement is only once a month. I think half the problem is the lack of configuration that probes enjoy, e.g. there's no average over time, only instant interogation of a single point in time.