MikroTik App

makkan
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

send remote commands

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:28 pm

Hi,

I am wondering if there is any way to send custom remote commands/scripts to the Mikrotik by using the dude (or smth else)?

For example, sometimes I would want to add a firewall rule to 5 of my Mikrotik routers and I would want to automate this. Is this possible?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: send remote commands

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:36 pm

The most popular and scalable options would be a file named whatever.auto.rsc containing the commands to run (files ending in .auto.rsc are automatically executed when uploaded), or to use the API. The API has extensive wiki documentation.

makkan
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi,

Thank you!
Sounds reasonable, but can e.g. the dude upload a file to multiple routers? :-)

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:18 pm

No idea, I don't use that program.

znet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:41 am

Hi,

I am wondering if there is any way to send custom remote commands/scripts to the Mikrotik by using the dude (or smth else)?

For example, sometimes I would want to add a firewall rule to 5 of my Mikrotik routers and I would want to automate this. Is this possible?
From within the Dude, you can use the function ros_command() to execute scripts local to the routeros device, and retrieve, otherwise unavailable variables. You must be able to write an ROS script, or at least be familiar with the CLI. It takes a little work to familiarize yourself with how the interaction works, but it has proven extremely useful for anything that can be done with a script. There are many parameters visible in winbox that dont have an SNMP oid, such as SNR for a wireless connection. Executing 'on-demand' commands is a little more complicated, but pays off in the long run once you figure out 'your' way to get it done...There is nothing wrong with using the 'whatever.auto.rsc' method if this isnt a thing that you need to perform often.

ros_command is powerful, and worth looking into, if not for other tasks that you havent thought of yet. Try it and you will see the possibilities that are opened up, especially the so-called 'cant do it with the Dude' tasks. 8)