Community discussions

MikroTik App

omarpalma
just joined
Topic Author

Problem with Auto Scan Network Feature

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Hi.

I'm deploy The Dude as Network Monitor platform, and I have a question about AutoScan Network Feature.
I'm Adding a subnet map 10.200.3.0/24 which have active between 50 to 80 Motorola Canopy Suscriber Module, but the auto scan only found 27, only scan the ping service, and when i look the ARP table in my core route found MCSM that the AutoScan doesn't discovered.

Im try scanning another subnet (10.200.0.0/24) and have the same results.

---

Hola
Estoy desplegando The Dude como plataforma de monitoreo de mi red, y tengo una pregunta sobre la caracteristica de Auto Escanear Redes
Añadi un mapa para la subred 10.200.3.0/24, la cual tiene activos entre 50 y 80 Motorola Canopy SM, pero en el auto escaneo solo encuentro 27, solo escaneo el servicio de ping, y cuando miro la tabla ARP de mi router principal, encuentro SM que la funcion de Auto Escaneo no ha encontrado.

Intente escanear otra subred (10.200.0.0/24) y obtuve los mismos resultados.

--
Omar Palma G.
opalma@cnw.co

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Problem with Auto Scan Network Feature

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:35 pm

Is snmp setup on the devices it did not discover? I don't use auto discover but you can check the wiki, click user manual at the top.
Also search for auto discover in this forum I know there are a couple decent posts about it.

omarpalma
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:15 pm

all the Canopy SM has configured SNMPv2c, also reed several post about this issue, but not found nothing related to this

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:06 pm

Maybe use a range instead of /24 to auto discover?

I would create a canopy device in the device list, select a few "required" and "allowed" probes that will work canopy. Test the automatic addition of probes with the discover button on the services list of an installed device. Verify that all the required probes get installed.

If/when when auto discover finds a canopy it should add the required probes to it. From what I recall auto discover will not keep objects it can't install probes on. Actually you will probably want to build your own probes and add it to required and allowed in the canopy device....

HTH,
Lebowski

hwmonkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:31 pm

I am having the same issue on v4 with Canopy, and the subnets are fine as are the SNMP configs.

hwmonkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:46 am

Maybe use a range instead of /24 to auto discover?
Using a range does not make a difference. Also, I have even tried an auto-scan and adding without services, and it made no difference.

hwmonkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:57 am

I figured it out.

I HAD the same issue. Here is the solution: Change the SNMP timeout! Go into Settings, SNMP and increase the timeout. Although our network has some really low latency, I just cranked the timeout up to 10ms and suddenly I had devices showing up that would not show up when NAT mode was enabled.

hwmonkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:02 pm

I hope a Mikrotik Moderator reads this. There is a bug with The Dude. Can someone report it?

For an auto-scan, the SNMP timeout value works the opposite of how it works for standard monitoring. In other words, to discover a device/service, you want The Dude set to a short SNMP time (e.g. 10 ms) whereas for monitoring, you want a long time (e.g. 100 ms). If you have 100ms, The Dude fails to discover devices that have a 15-25 ms latency whereas in monitoring mode, the service can be listed as up. It is like the code has a -1 * the scale or something. I cannot explain it other than to state how it broken. This is my conclusion after tens of hours of testing, and using The Dude to monitor a several hundred services over a total of a few hundred devices for 6 months.

Most of the equipment for these tests was Canopy